About This Chapter
Understanding Steroids - Chapter Summary
Steroids are compounds used to fight inflammation and are sometimes prescribed to ease symptoms for conditions like asthma, lupus and multiple sclerosis. Ensure you have a comprehensive understanding of these compounds by exploring this chapter's short lessons. Refresh your knowledge of the uses, side effects, structure and drug interactions of fluticasone. Also, study how fluticasone compares to steroids like flunisolide and triamcinolone.
The lessons in this chapter are easy to navigate and fun to review. Explore them in any sequence and as often as needed to feel confident in your understanding of these steroids. Any questions you develop while examining the lessons can be submitted to our experts via the Dashboard. Use our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam to confirm your grasp of this chapter.
How It Helps
This chapter is a great resource for healthcare professionals who want to strengthen their study of steroid classifications, contraindications, mechanisms of action and pharmacokinetics. Physicians, nurses and other healthcare professionals can benefit from this chapter by refreshing their understanding of steroid uses, side effects and nursing implications. Use the lessons to strengthen your professional knowledge and improve your ability to succeed in the workplace.
Taking advantage of the lessons in this chapter will enable you to:
- Explain the uses and side effects of fluticasone
- Discuss the classification, structure and contraindications of fluticasone
- Describe the nursing implications and drug interactions of fluticasone
- Detail fluticasone's mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics
- Differentiate between fluticasone and flunisolide
- Compare and contrast triamcinolone and fluticasone
1. Fluticasone: Uses & Side Effects
This lesson is going to go over a medication known as fluticasone. You'll learn that it comes in more than one form and name. It's also used for more than one thing!
2. Fluticasone: Classification, Structure & Contraindications
Fluticasone is a medication used to reduce inflammation. It is used for several different ailments. This lesson will discuss the classification, structure, and contraindications of fluticasone.
3. Fluticasone: Nursing Implications & Drug Interactions
Fluticasone is a nasal spray medication that can relieve allergies. This lesson will discuss the nursing implications and drug interactions associated with fluticasone.
4. Fluticasone: Mechanism of Action & Pharmacokinetics
Would you like to know more about a corticosteroid that can be used to help treat asthma and seasonal allergies? In this lesson, we'll discuss the mechanism of action and pharmacokinetics of fluticasone.
5. Flunisolide vs. Fluticasone
This lesson is going to compare and contrast numerous facets of flunisolide and fluticasone. You'll learn what they're labeled for use in, similar and different precautions, and much more.
6. Triamcinolone vs. Fluticasone
This lesson goes over two medications known as triamcinolone and fluticasone. It focuses on their similarities and differences when used to manage hay fever with an intranasal spray.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Pharmacology course
- History & Types of Pharmacology
- Basics of Pharmacology
- Formulas & Calculations for Pharmacology
- Dosage Analysis in Pharmacology
- Pharmacology & Physiology
- Respiratory Medications
- Endocrine System Medications
- Therapeutic Responses in Pharmacology
- Stimulants & Pharmacology
- Medicinal Herbology
- Alternative Medicine & Pharmacology
- Alternative Medicine for Digestive Issues
- Reproductive Health & Pharmacology
- Cancer, Abnormal Cells & Pharmacology
- 5-HT3 Antagonist Drugs
- Anorectic Medications
- Medications for Colds & Coughs
- Medications for Infection Control
- Understanding & Administering Doxycycline
- Anticonvulsant Medications
- Overview of Antihistamines
- Understanding & Administering Loratadine
- Overview of Cholinergic Drugs
- GABA Analogue Medications
- Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Sodium Channel Blockers
- Uric Acid Reducers
- Anesthesia & Pharmacology