About This Chapter
Understanding Stress - Chapter Summary
Enhance your current knowledge and even learn some new information about the effects of stress and how to cope with it by reviewing the video lessons in this chapter. The lessons focus on term definitions, theories and how people adapt and react to stress. Once you have completed watching the lessons in this chapter, you should have a deeper understanding of the following:
- A good form of stress positively impacting performance and well-being
- Symptoms and causes of psychological distress
- Reactions to stress as outlined by the general adaptation syndrome and fight or flight response
- The appraisal theory of stress explaining the effects of the same stressors on different people
- Ways of coping with stress
Prepared mainly by psychology educators, these detailed lessons provide brief overviews and examples that are easy to follow and engaging, effectively taking the stress out of learning about stress. Each lesson contains a self-assessment quiz that you can use to measure how much you have learned and identify topics you might wish to review again. Other helpful features include the opportunity to contact instructors with any questions and a Dashboard that enables you to track your progress through this chapter.
1. What Is Eustress? - Definition & Examples
A great many things in the world create stress, and we are constantly reminded of how bad stress is for us emotionally and physically. But eustress is quite literally a good form of stress that can actually increase our performance at a task and our general happiness and sense of well-being.
2. What Is Psychological Distress? - Definition & Symptoms
Psychological distress is a general term that is used to describe unpleasant feelings or emotions that impact your level of functioning. Learn about the causes of psychological distress, the symptoms, and more.
3. General Adaptation Syndrome: Stages, Definition & Examples
General adaptation syndrome (GAS) is the predictable way the body responds to stress as described by Hans Selye (1907-1982). Learn more about the three stages of general adaptation syndrome and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
4. Fight or Flight Response: Definition, Physiology & Examples
A squirrel caught in headlights or the cock that fights to the death? Do you know what makes us choose between freezing, running or fighting back? And what's happening inside of you all the while? This lesson answers all of your fight-or-flight questions.
5. Richard Lazarus's Theory of Stress Appraisal
How can something make one person really, really stressed, and not bother someone else at all? In this lesson, we'll examine Richard Lazarus's appraisal theory of stress, including primary and secondary appraisals.
6. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards