About This Chapter
Understanding the Body's Defenses in Nursing - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The physical body of human beings has a remarkable system for defending itself from disease and infection. The lessons in this chapter explore the specific details of the body's defenses and how they relate to the field of nursing. Take a short quiz following each lesson to measure how well you have learned the material and feel free to contact an instructor with any questions that you may have. These lessons cover such topics as:
- Examination of a nursing case study
- An explanation of the immune system
- How the body responds to infection
- A definition of anatomical barriers
- How to promote physical defenses
|What is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens||Get the facts on the human immune system.|
|Physiological Responses to Infection||See how the body responds to infection.|
|The Anatomical Barriers of the Immune System||Discover the innate immune system and anatomical barriers.|
|What is Inflammation? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms||Learn about inflammation.|
|Factors Influencing the Human Body's Defenses||Examine influences of the human defense system.|
|Techniques Used to Promote the Body's Defenses||Discover ways to boost the body's defenses.|
|Nursing Case Study: The Body's Defenses||Explore a specific case study relating to nursing and the body's defenses.|
1. What Is the Immune System? - Our Body's Defense Against Pathogens
In this lesson, you will be introduced to the immune system. You'll learn about the innate and adaptive immune system, Edward Jenner, haptens and immune tolerance.
2. Physiological Responses to Infection
How does our body use its physiological processes, factors, and know-how to fight off and respond to an infection? Everything from acid to sticky stuff to specialized proteins help us out!
3. The Anatomical Barriers of the Immune System
This lesson will cover the major anatomical barriers to infection of the innate immune system. We'll explore skin flora, gut flora, gastric acid, lysozymes, and the mucociliary apparatus.
4. What Is Inflammation? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
This lesson will cover the process of inflammation and what your body might do after a bee sting. We'll find out the five cardinal signs of inflammation as well as anaphylactic shock, histamine and cytokines in the process.
5. Factors Influencing the Human Body's Defenses
In this lesson, you're going to learn that the human body's defense mechanisms can be influenced by a wide variety of intrinsic and extrinsic factors. Then, follow this lesson with a brief quiz.
6. Techniques Used to Promote the Body's Defenses
Are you a superhuman? I'm willing to bet that you are. That's because you've likely used at least one technique to promote your body's defense systems. Find out more in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 101: Fundamentals of Nursing course
- The Profession of Nursing
- Communication & Interpersonal Relations in Nursing
- Nursing Safety
- Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control
- Medication Administration & Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep for Nurses
- Mobility & Immobility Issues in Nursing
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management for Nurses
- Understanding Nutrition for Nurses
- Fluid & Electrolyte Balance Concerns in Nursing
- Understanding Elimination in Nursing
- Understanding Oxygenation in Nursing