About This Chapter
Understanding the Nervous System - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter are designed to provide brief but informative overviews of the various components of the central nervous system. You will study the functions of these structures, their importance and different types of specific parts such as neurons and nerve cells. After you have completed your review of this chapter, you will have a better understanding of the following:
- The parts of the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Neuron types, structures and roles
- What the myelin sheath, Schwann cells and nodes of Ranvier do
- The role of neuroglia
- Responsibilities of nerve cells
Taught by such professionals as biology teachers and nurse educators, these lessons highlight details about the most important parts and roles of the nervous system using simple language and supportive illustrations. Self-assessment quizzes allow you to demonstrate your full knowledge of these topics and recognize areas in which you might need further review. Easily track your progress through this chapter using a convenient Dashboard.
1. Central Nervous System: Definition, Function & Parts
The body is divided into many systems. In this lesson, you will learn about the parts that make up the nervous system and their functions to gain a better understanding of this critical system.
2. Peripheral Nervous System: Definition, Function & Parts
The human nervous system is very complex with many interactive units that are changing constantly to reflect human behavior and activity. This lesson focuses on the peripheral nervous system, including its function and parts.
3. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
4. Types of Neurons: Sensory, Afferent, Motor, Efferent & More
There are many types of neurons in your body that help you see, smell, hear, and move. In this lesson, you'll learn more about afferent, efferent, sensory, and motor neurons.
5. The Myelin Sheath, Schwann Cells & Nodes of Ranvier
The myelin sheath is an essential part of our nervous system. Learn more about this neuron component, explore the nodes of Ranvier, and discover why Schwann cells are crucial for neuron survival.
6. Neuroglia: Function & Definition
In this lesson, you'll learn about the unsung heroes of your nervous system. These cells don't get a lot of attention, but without them, it would be difficult for your neurons to do their job and protect themselves against invaders.
7. What Are Nerve Cells? - Function, Types & Structure
Nerve cells are the primary cells in the nervous system. They are responsible for relaying electrical messages to cells and tissues in other organ systems. This article discusses the functions and structures of nerve cells in the human body.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- The Brain's Role in Mental Processes
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards