About This Chapter
Understanding the Study of Western Art - Chapter Summary
This convenient online chapter offers short and simple lessons about the discipline of art history and the study of Western art. As you progress through the chapter, you'll define basic art terminology and examine the creation of art throughout human history. Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of these art concepts and definitions. The chapter is entirely self-paced, and you can access it at any time using your computer or mobile device. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the study of art history
- Analyze the historical value of art to human beings
- Explain the concept of Western civilization
- Define the term 'medium' as it applies to art
1. What is Art History? - Definition & Overview
You may have heard of art history, but what exactly do art historians do? In this lesson, we'll check out the discipline of art history and see how researchers study art to learn about human societies.
2. Why do Humans Make Art? - History & Value
In this lesson, we'll discuss one of the most distinctive aspects of humans: the creation of art. We'll explore why humans make art, the value placed on it, and understand how art provides us with a better understanding of our history.
3. What is Western Civilization? - Definition & Overview
Many of us have heard the phrase 'Western civilization,' but what doe it mean exactly? In this lesson, we'll define that term and explore some of its complications as well.
4. What Is a Medium in Art: Definition & Terms
Explore one of the fundamental ideas in art that affects the creation, design, and reception of every work of art. Test your knowledge about artistic production and art history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103