About This Chapter
Understanding & Treating Hepatitis - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors show you everything you need to know about the basics of hepatitis. Complete these simple lessons and quizzes to review the differences between hepatitis, A, B and C, as well as related treatments and hepatitis serology. The chapter includes short self-assessment quizzes to help you reinforce the information you study. Access the chapter any time that fits your schedule, and be sure to submit questions to our instructors if you have any. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Evaluate the causes, symptoms and treatments of hepatitis A, B and C
- Describe the contagious period of the hepatitis A virus
- Understand how hepatitis A, B and C are transmitted
- Assess the surface antibody of hepatitis B
- Differentiate between acute and chronic hepatitis B
- Interpret hepatitis virus serology markers
1. Hepatitis A: Causes, Symptoms & Risk Factors
Hepatitis A is a virus that causes inflammation of the liver. Read this lesson to learn how the virus is transmitted as well as learn about the symptoms of this condition.
2. Hepatitis A Virus: Definition, Transmission & Contagious Period
Hepatitis A is a highly contagious virus that attacks the liver and causes inflammation. Read this lesson to learn about modes of transmission and the incubation period of this virus.
3. Hepatitis A: Vaccine, Treatment & Prognosis
The Hepatitis A virus (HAV) attacks the liver causing an array of uncomfortable symptoms. Read this lesson to learn about the prognosis of this condition, how to treat it, and the possibility of vaccination.
4. Hepatitis B: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Hepatitis B is a virus that occurs in the liver. It can be acute or chronic. This lesson will discuss the symptoms, causes, and treatments of hepatitis B.
5. Hepatitis B: Definition, Transmission & Surface Antibody
In this lesson, you will learn about hepatitis B, types of infection, and modes of transmission. You will also learn about the hepatitis B surface antigen and its role in immunity to the disease.
6. Chronic vs. Acute Hepatitis B
The hepatitis B virus infects the liver. It starts out as an acute infection that can become chronic and cause serious liver damage. This lesson will discuss the differences between acute and chronic hepatitis B.
7. Hepatitis C Virus: Transmission, Causes & Symptoms
Hepatitis C virus may be something you have heard of before, but you may not really understand what it is. In this lesson, we will learn about Hepatitis C virus- what causes it, how it is spread from one to another, and what symptoms are associated with it.
8. Hepatitis C: Treatment & Vaccine
Hepatitis C is a virus that is highly contagious. In this lesson, we will learn about treatment of Hepatitis C infections as well as about the vaccine for this disease.
9. Hepatitis Virus Serology: Markers & Interpretation
In this lesson, you will learn about the hepatitis viruses and people at high risk for contracting the disease. We'll explore serologic markers that are present after exposure as well as interpretation of those results.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease