About This Chapter
Understanding & Treating Sciatica - Chapter Summary
This helpful chapter outlines the treatments for sciatica and helps you to understand this condition. Topics include the causes and symptoms for sciatica, as well as how it is treated. The short quiz at the end of each lesson is a great way to prepare for an exam or review what you just learned. You're welcome to access these lessons any time you'd like in order to study at your convenience. If you have questions as you work through the lessons, reach out to one of our instructors for assistance. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between sciatica and Piriformis syndrome
- Define what sciatica is and list its causes and symptoms
- Outline the treatment options for sciatica
- Explain how sciatica differs before and after pregnancy
- Detail how sciatica and constipation are related
1. Piriformis Syndrome vs. Sciatica
In this lesson, we will learn the basic definitions and causes of sciatica and piriformis syndrome, as well as the similarities and differences between the two conditions.
2. Sciatica: Definition, Causes & Symptoms
We depend on our nerves to tell our brains about our surroundings, but pain can occur when our nerves are not happy. We are going to learn about sciatica and what causes it as well as its symptoms.
3. Types of Treatment for Sciatica
Sciatica is a nerve irritation that affects many people each year. This lesson will go over the treatment options available to provide relief from this painful condition.
4. Sciatica During & After Pregnancy
In this lesson, we will discuss the definition of sciatica and how it relates to pregnancy. We will also review the signs and symptoms of sciatica as well as discuss treatment.
5. Sciatica and Constipation
Back pain can be miserable and can be caused by many different things. In this lesson, we'll learn about the connection between sciatica and constipation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases
- Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease