About This Chapter
Understanding Wave Optics- Chapter Summary
Reviewing how to understand wave optics will be discussed in the lessons in this chapter. Our expert instructors will guide you through each lesson in this chapter. Throughout these lessons, you will be able to:
- Review the difference between coherent and incoherent sources of light
- Provide examples of thin film inference
- Understand the double slit experiment
- Learn how to solve single-slit diffraction problems
- Recall the use of Malus's law
- Explain how instant film works
The video and text lessons are each formatted a different way. The video lessons allow you to view the lesson in less than 10 minutes and skip through the lesson through video tags. The text lessons are complete with bold terms and phrases. You can take the lesson quizzes and the chapter test to assess your knowledge of the reviewed topics.
1. Coherent & Incoherent Light: Definition & Sources
In this lesson, you'll learn the difference between coherent and incoherent light and consider some familiar examples, including the light we can observe from a flashlight and a laser.
2. How Thin Film Interference Works
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how thin film interference works, give examples of thin film interference in everyday life and solve simple problems. A short quiz will follow.
3. Double Slit Experiment: Explanation & Equation
The double slit experiment is an idealized laboratory scenario that produces a wave interference pattern. In this article, we will discuss the basic setup of a double slit experiment and explain how the setup produces an interference pattern.
4. Single-slit Diffraction: Interference Pattern & Equations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what single-slit diffraction is, describe and picture the pattern that it creates on a distant screen and use the equation of single-slit diffraction to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
5. Polarization of Light & Malus's Law
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what polarization of light is, list a number of examples of how polarization of light is used, state Malus's Law, and use it to solve problems involving the intensity of light through a polarizer.
6. How Instant Film Works
Did you know that instant film is like a miniature darkroom? Every time you take a picture with an instant film camera, you set off the same chemical processes that are used in a traditional photography darkroom. Learn more in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UPSEE Paper 1: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Basics of Scientific Units & Measurement
- Understanding the Laws of Motion
- Energy, Work & Power in Physics
- Fundamentals of Linear Momentum
- Understanding Rotation of a Rigid Body
- Gravitation in Physics
- Understanding Oscillatory Motion
- Mechanics of Solids & Fluids
- Properties of Heat & Thermodynamics
- Overview of Waves
- Understanding Electrostatics
- Overview of Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effect of Current
- Magnetism in Matter
- Electromagnetic Induction Overview
- Ray Optics & Optical Instruments
- Overview of Modern Physics
- Overview of Nuclear Physics
- Electronics, Transistors & Signals
- Atomic Structure & Configuration
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Redox Reactions Overview
- Chemical Equilibrium & Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Catalysts
- Colloids in Chemistry
- Colligative Properties of Solution
- Periodic Table & Electronic Configuration
- Overview of Thermochemistry
- Reactions & Compounds in Organic Chemistry
- Understanding Isomerism
- Overview of Organic Compounds
- Properties of Solids in Chemistry
- Overview of Algebra Basics
- Matrices in Algebra
- Probability in Math
- Understanding Trigonometry
- Overview of Coordinate Geometry
- Principles of Calculus
- Vectors in Algebra
- Mechanics Overview
- UPSEE Paper 1 Flashcards