About This Chapter
Unified Modeling Language (UML) - Chapter Summary
Studying Unified Modeling Language (UML) is simple with help from our engaging lessons. Created by top instructors, these lessons closely examine a variety of UML diagrams, including class, component, sequence and profile diagrams. If you develop questions about these diagrams or other concepts covered in this chapter, feel free to submit your questions to our experts. When you're ready, check your knowledge of the lessons using our mini quizzes and chapter exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss Unified Modeling Language tools
- Differentiate between UML class and component diagrams
- Describe composite structure and deployment diagrams in the Unified Modeling Language
- Share an example of a UML object diagram
- Compare and contrast UML package and profile diagrams
- List symbols for the UML activity diagram
- Provide the definition of the UML communication diagram
- Identify and describe components of the UML sequence diagram
- Offer an example of the interaction overview diagram in UML
- Give an example of the state machine diagram in UML
- Exhibit knowledge of timing diagrams in the Unified Modeling Language
1. What is a UML Class Diagram? - Definition, Symbols & Examples
In order to understand the relationships between classes in a system, we need a method of diagramming classes and their relationships. This lesson defines the class diagram and covers the symbols seen in these diagrams.
2. What is a UML Object Diagram? - Definition & Example
When designing UML diagrams, we often want to show how a system would look when running. This lesson will define an object diagram and provide an example of an object diagram used to show objects and associated values.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the System Analysis & Design: Help & Review course
- Domain Modeling
- Infrastructure & Architecture for System Analysis & Design
- Modeling & Diagramming in System Analysis & Design
- Overview of System Analysis & Design
- Software Development & Testing
- Systems Modeling Language (SysML)
- Object-Oriented Design
- Software Development Methodologies
- Service-Oriented Architecture