About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Urinary System Diseases chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| How the kidneys regulate acid-base balance;|
| Excreting acids and bases in conditions such as respiratory acidosis and alkalosis, metabolic acidosis and alkalosis;|
Causes of alkalosis, symptoms and treatments;
Causes of acidosis, symptoms and treatments
|Tuesday|| Prerenal failure;|
Intrinsic renal failure;
|Definition of these conditions, symptoms, effects on the body and treatments|
|Wednesday|| Chronic renal failure;|
Infectious causes of kidney disease;
Nephrotic and nephritic syndrome
|Causes of chronic renal failure, symptoms, effects on the body, treatment options;|
Kidney diseases caused by infection, how they damage the kidneys, symptoms, treatments;
Definition of nephrotic and nephritic syndrome, symptoms, treatments
|Thursday||Cystitis and neurogenic bladder;|
Kidney and bladder stones
|Symptoms of cystitis and neurogenic bladder, definition, basic treatments;|
Types of stones, causes, signs, treatments
Polycystic kidney disease
| Signs of renal cancer|
Symptoms and treatments of bladder cancer;
Locations impacted by polycystic kidney disease, symptoms, treatment options
1. How the Kidneys Regulate Acid Base Balance
Find out how your kidneys keep you alive by excreting acids and bases in conditions like respiratory acidosis, metabolic alkalosis, metabolic acidosis, and respiratory alkalosis.
2. Metabolic Alkalosis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
We'll learn what metabolic alkalosis is all about in this lesson and how the respiratory system tries to save you from this potentially life-threatening condition.
3. Metabolic Acidosis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
This lesson discusses a condition called metabolic acidosis, what causes it, how buffer and the respiratory systems are involved, what tests results reveal, and how it's treated.
4. Acute Renal Failure - Prerenal Failure & Its Effects On The Body
This lesson will mainly focus on the prerenal causes of acute renal failure, why they occur, how they influence the kidneys, and how this in turn causes problems in the body.
5. Acute Renal Failure - Intrinsic Renal Failure & Its Consequences
This lesson will focus on what intrinsic renal failure means, what can cause it, and how it differs from pre-renal failure. We'll also discuss some additional diagnostic and treatment strategies of acute renal failure not covered in other lessons on this topic.
6. Acute Renal Failure - Postrenal Failure & How It Alters The Body
This lesson will zero in on a particular form of acute renal failure known as postrenal failure, including covering its causes, signs, diagnostic tests, and treatment options.
7. What is Chronic Renal Failure? - Causes & Symptoms
This lesson will discuss chronic kidney disease, or chronic renal failure, as it was once more commonly called. We will have an overview of what it means and what it does to your body.
8. Infectious Causes of Kidney Disease
What is a kidney infection technically called? You'll find out in this lesson. You'll also learn what the main cause of a kidney infection is, the two routes it can be established, and how it is diagnosed and treated.
9. What Are Nephrotic and Nephritic Syndrome? - Signs & Consequences
This lesson will discuss two syndromes associated with diseases that affect the filters inside of the kidneys, the glomeruli. These conditions are called nephrotic and nephritic syndrome.
10. Cystitis and the Neurogenic Bladder
This lesson will cover two different conditions affecting the same organ. They are known as cystitis and neurogenic bladder. We'll cover what they are, what symptoms they cause, and how they are treated.
11. Kidney and Bladder Stones: Types, Causes, Signs & Treatments
This lesson will discuss the causes of the formation of urinary tract stones, including kidney and bladder stones, as well as how they are diagnosed and treated.
12. Renal Cancer: Causes & Symptoms
Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is a type of kidney cancer that will be the focus of this lesson. You will learn where it microscopically originates from, what it clinically is, and how it can physiologically impact a person's body.
13. Bladder Cancer: Symptoms and Treatments
In this lesson, you will learn about bladder cancer, including the most common forms of bladder cancer, what transitional epithelium is, and how to help distinguish bladder cancer from other forms of urinary tract disease.
14. Polycystic Kidney Disease: Affected Locations, Signs & Treatments
This lesson will discuss an inherited disorder known as polycystic kidney disease as well as the latest understanding of why it occurs in people with this condition and how it can be diagnosed and treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pathophysiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Pathophysiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Aberrant Immune System Lesson Plans
- The Pathophysiology of Neoplasia Lesson Plans
- Skin Related Pathology Lesson Plans
- Nervous System Injury Lesson Plans
- Major Nervous System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Congenital Cardiovascular Defects Lesson Plans
- Acquired Cardiovascular Abnormalities Lesson Plans
- Respiratory System Pathologies Lesson Plans
- Important Renal Anatomy Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal System Conditions Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Derangements Lesson Plans
- Anemia Lesson Plans
- Hematological Maladies Lesson Plans
- Blood Cancers Lesson Plans
- Musculoskeletal System Alternations Lesson Plans
- Reproductive System Disorders Lesson Plans
- Electrolytes, Cells & Blood Proteins Test Results Lesson Plans
- Organ Function & Health Test Results Lesson Plans