About This Chapter
U.S. Electoral System & Political Process Participation - Chapter Summary
We've put together the lessons in this chapter to explain the U.S. electoral system and political process participation. Some of the subjects you'll find include the electoral college, forms of political participation and U.S. political parties. After finishing these videos, you should be able to:
- Discuss representation and U.S. electoral systems
- Define reapportionment and redistricting for Congressional constituencies
- Outline the processes of the electoral college
- Explain the purpose, history and structure of U.S. political parties
- Identify different forms of political participation
- Detail influences on political participation in the United States
- Describe the alternative forms of political participation
- Identify the factors that influence the outcome of an election
When you work through this chapter, help with any questions that come up is available from our experts in the Dashboard. If you need to go back and re-watch any portion of a video lesson, just use the video tabs feature. Our lesson quizzes are designed to assess your understanding before you move forward or take an exam.
1. Representation & U.S. Electoral Systems
In this lesson, you'll consider the importance of representation in elections and how districts can help achieve this. You will learn about winner-take-all elections and ones that aim to be more proportional to the votes cast.
2. Reapportionment & Redistricting for Congressional Constituencies: Definition & Process
In this lesson, we will review the constitutional requirements for determining congressional districts. We will take a closer look at the process and effects of reapportionment and redistricting.
3. The Electoral College: Definition & Process
In the U.S., our presidential elections are decided using the Electoral College. The system is meant to balance election power between the federal and state governments. This lesson explains what the Electoral College is and how it works.
4. U.S. Political Parties: Purpose, History, Organization & Structure
In this lesson, you will explore the history and structure of American political parties, including the current dominant groups. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. What is Political Participation? - Definition, Forms & Examples
Through this lesson, you will learn what defines political participation, explore some examples, and gain insight into why political participation matters in democratic societies.
6. Political Participation in the United States: Influences & Voter Turnout
Despite an increase in the number of eligible voters, political participation in the United States seems to be on the decline. This lesson discusses influences on political participation and voter turnout.
7. Alternative Forms of Political Participation: Role & Types
Americans participate in government by voting, but they also participate in many other ways. This lesson discusses the role alternative forms of political participation play in our political involvement.
8. What Factors Influence the Outcome of an Election?
In this lesson, we will learn about several important factors that influence the outcome of an election. We will look in-depth at these factors and why they are important in the outcome of an election.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Social Science (303): Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading & Research Skills
- Historiography & World History
- Early Civilizations in Egypt, Mesopotamia & the Near East
- The Legacy of Ancient Greece & Rome
- Ancient India & China
- Ancient Japan & Southeast Asia
- Overview of Global Religions
- Early Civilizations in Africa & the Americas
- The Spread of Islam & The Byzantine Empire
- Europe after the Decline of the Roman Empire
- The European Renaissance & Protestant Reformation
- European Expansion from 1450-1650
- The Scientific Revolution & the European Enlightenment
- Major Revolutions Around the World
- Industrialization in Europe
- Major Political Developments from 1350-1871
- Impacts of European Imperialism
- Causes & Consequences of World War I
- Causes & Consequences of World War II
- Causes & Consequences of the Cold War
- Developments in East Asia, Latin America, Africa & the Middle East since 1945
- Changes in Europe after World War II
- Contemporary Global Challenges
- The Precontact Period & Settling North America
- Causes & Consequences of the American Revolution
- The Evolution of National & State Governments
- Major Figures in U.S. History from the Precontact Period-1789
- Political & Constitutional Developments from 1789-1877
- Westward Expansion, Economic Growth & U.S. Foreign Relations from 1789-1877
- Major Antebellum Reform Movements & Key Reformers
- Sectionalism & the American Civil War
- The Reconstruction Period
- Settlement of the Trans-Mississippi West
- The Growth of the Industrial Economy in the U.S.
- The American Progressive Era
- American Imperialism & Rise to International Power
- The 1920s in the U.S.
- Causes & Effects of the Great Depression
- U.S. Foreign Policy since World War II
- Major U.S. Political Events & Developments since 1945
- U.S. Economic Developments since 1946
- Major U.S. Social Developments since 1945
- Major Social & Political U.S. Movements During the Postwar Period
- Basic Geographic Terms & Concepts
- Geographic Reference Sources, Tools & Technologies
- Characteristics of World Geography
- Physical Features of the Earth
- Elements of Weather & Climate
- Natural Resources Around the World
- Human Societies & the Environment
- Current Environmental Problems
- Characteristics of Human Systems
- Basic Political Science Terms & Concepts
- Political Theorists & Figures in Political Science
- Systems of Government
- Comparison of Political Systems
- Key Political Documents
- Significance of Landmark U.S. Supreme Court Decisions
- U.S. Citizenship Rights & Responsibilities
- Levels of U.S. Government
- Law-Making Processes & U.S. Foreign Policy
- Basic Economic Terms & Concepts
- Microeconomics Concepts & Laws
- Interpreting Economic Information
- Operation of Business Firms
- Fundamentals of Consumer Economics
- Fundamentals of Personal Finance
- Economic Institutions & Groups
- Unemployment, Inflation & Deflation
- NES Social Science Flashcards