About This Chapter
US Geography Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will find lesson plans and additional materials that can help you develop a workable syllabus for your classes in United States geography. These tools can give you a foundation upon which to build a teaching plan that will make studying US geography interesting and fun. You will find lesson plans that contain topics focusing on the history of various regions and states including Arkansas, Texas and others, the states and their capitals, a general overview of the United States as a whole, and much more. These guides will help you create:
- Kid-friendly lessons on US geography and the five regions of the United States
- Lesson plans on Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and New Mexico
- Timelines and lessons covering events, outstanding historical figures and issues on selected states
- Lessons on the history of the states given above
- Lessons and a lesson plan on US states and their capitals
How It Helps
- Common core: Enables you to be certain that your lessons in US geography are consistent with current education standards
- Homework or classwork suggestions: Provides ideas that you can use to design classroom or homework assignments for your students
- Class discussion questions or topics: Offers suggestions for topics related to the geography of the United States that you can introduce for class discussion
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning lessons on the geography of the United States easy.
- Find lesson plans for specific US geography-related topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your US geography class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related US geography lessons for each lesson plan with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important concepts from your U.S. geography lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant US geography-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Washington D.C. Lesson Plan
What do your students know about our nation's capital? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to summarize the history and significance of Washington, D.C. An activity places students in the role of tour guide.
2. United States Geography: Lesson for Kids
What do a mountain, a river, and a desert have in common? They're all are part of the geography of the United States! In this lesson, you will learn about some of the greatest places that make up the geography of the United States.
3. The 5 Regions of the United States: Lesson for Kids
What if you could see the United States differently? Instead of seeing a collection of 50 states, you see it as large chunks of land. In this lesson, you will learn about the 5 main regions of the United States and what makes each one special.
4. States & Capitals Lesson Plan
Can your students name all 50 states and their capitals? A text lesson paired with a small group activity will ensure that they can name them as well as explain the function of state capitals. An associated quiz measures comprehension and our suggestions for related lessons and extensions support ongoing instruction.
5. Capitals of U.S. States
In this lesson, you'll learn about the capitals of the fifty U.S. States. This lesson will teach you the purpose of capitals, why capital locations are chosen, and the significance of capitals in American life.
6. US Territories Activities
If your class is studying United States geography, learning about its territories is important. Use these activities to help students explore the territories of the United States.
7. US Physical Geography Games
This lesson provides teachers with classroom games designed to teach students of varying ages and abilities how to research and discuss the physical geography of the United States.
8. Washington, D.C. Lesson Plan for Elementary School
Do your students know the history of Washington, D.C.? This lesson plan outlines key facts about Washington, D.C.'s history and significance, using a text lesson to do so. An activity reinforces learning.
9. How Geography Influenced the Early United States Lesson Plan
Educate your students on how the early United States was influenced by geography with this lesson plan. They will view a video lesson, take an accompanying lesson quiz, and take part in a fun activity.
10. Geography of the United States Activities for High School
As your students study the geography of the United States, consider using these activities to help them understand the diverse geography of the country and practice their map skills.
11. US Geography Lesson Plan
Help your students better appreciate and analyze the geography of the United States with this lesson plan from Study.com. Use the included activity to help students get a better understanding of important landforms in the U.S.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Teaching Geography of the Americas course