About This Chapter
U.S. Labor Law in the Private Sector Post-1960 - Chapter Summary
You'll study U.S. labor law in the private sector post-1960 in this informative collection of lessons. The video lessons cover subjects such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964, its effects on human resource management and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you've had a hard time with these topics before, our lessons take the stress out of studying by providing you with access to our instructors through the Dashboard and self-assessment quizzes to test your progress. You can access these learning tools on your mobile phone or computer any time, day or night. Once you finish this chapter, you should be ready to meet these objectives:
- Give examples of age discrimination in the workplace
- Outline the laws that apply to employment discrimination
- Discuss governmental regulation and deregulation of the economy
- Define deregulation legislation
- Describe the health and safety regulations provided under OSHA
- Explain the importance of ERISA law
- Identify the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act
- Provide an overview of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Detail the Affordable Health Care Act's relevance to HR management
1. What is the Civil Rights Act of 1964? - Summary, Effects & Impact
This lesson discusses the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Learn more about the history and impact of these landmark pieces of legislation.
2. Relation of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 to Human Resource Management
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is one of the most influential laws affecting employment in the United States. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 amended some of its provisions. In this lesson, you'll learn about how each Act applies to HR Management.
3. What is the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990? - History & Accessibility Guidelines
What is the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990? Learn about the ADA's history, the individuals it protects, the accessibility guidelines, as well as how the disability movement ensured the passing of this important legislation.
4. Governmental Regulation & Deregulation of the Economy
Government regulations affect all aspects of the economy. However, some sectors are subject to specific regulations due to their importance. This lesson explores the purposes and methods of economic regulation and deregulation.
5. Deregulation Legislation: Definition & Examples
This lesson covers deregulation legislation of the 1970s-80s in the United States. Learn what led to changes in pricing, consolidations and mergers, and services. Find out how the Airline Deregulation Act, Motor Carrier Act, and Staggers Rail Act cut certain industries loose.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business Management: Help & Review course
- Introduction to Management: Help & Review
- Leadership Types and Styles: Help & Review
- Individual Decision Making
- Motivation Theory: Help & Review
- Management Theory: Help & Review
- Strategic Management: Help & Review
- Human Resources Management: Help & Review
- Labor Relations: Help & Review
- Managerial Accounting: Help & Review
- International Business Management: Help & Review
- Business Ethics: Help & Review
- Tuition Reimbursement: Help & Review
- Using Kanban in Business Management: Help & Review
- Accounting Basics for Entrepreneurs
- Business Law for Entrepreneurs
- Contract Enforcement & Administration
- HR Management
- Rights, Ethics & Employment