About This Chapter
Usability Testing & Technical Writing - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Watch these entertaining videos to learn how usability tests with clearly defined goals and the right participants can be used to improve the quality of a technical document. Each video includes tags so that you can quickly review key points, and the lessons come with transcripts and multiple-choice quizzes. Our expert instructors outline each stage of the usability testing process with lessons on the following topics:
- Purposes of usability testing
- Components of a usability test plan
- Considerations for choosing test participants
- Responsibilities of usability testers during testing
|Usability Testing on Technical Documents||Find out what usability testing is and learn why it's used to develop technical documents.|
|Importance of the Planning Session for Usability Testing||Understand the types of goal setting that take place during these planning sessions.|
|Screening & Roles for Usability Participants & Testers||Explore considerations for selecting participants and assigning tasks for a usability test. Take a look at the roles of observers during the testing process.|
|Writing the Usability Test Plan & Making Recommendations||Identify the components of a usability test plan, including test parameters, user profiles and testing goals. Learn how test results can be used to recommend changes to technical documents.|
1. Usability Testing on Technical Documents
If you're about to release a manual or a document, wouldn't you like to make sure that it's effective and accurate? In this lesson, we learn about usability testing, the process by which technical writing can be tested.
2. Screening & Roles for Usability Participants & Testers
Before you send a document to be distributed, it is a wise idea to perform usability testing. In this lesson, we learn about the roles for both test subjects and those administering the test.
3. Writing the Usability Test Plan & Making Recommendations
If you thought that products and apps just came to market without being tested, think again! In this lesson, we look at the process of forming a usability test plan and incorporating recommendations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 305: Advanced Technical Writing course
- Basics of Technical Writing
- Prewriting for Technical Documents
- Writing Technical Documents
- Technical Editing & Rewriting
- Elements of Technical Documents
- Informal Technical Reports
- Formal Technical Reports
- Business Reports and Proposals
- Technical Correspondence
- Technical Writing in Business Correspondence
- Technical Resumes & Cover Letters
- Technical Instructions
- Writing Technical Manuals
- How to Write Proposals
- Required Assignments for English 305
- Studying for English 305