About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Usage Conventions in 9th Grade Writing chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors||Learning to connect the subject and verb of a sentence|
|Tuesday||Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors||Working with compound subjects and simple sentences|
|Wednesday||Identifying Subject-Verb Agreement Errors||Learning about indefinite pronouns and prepositional phrases|
|Thursday||Identifying Errors of Verb Tense||Discovering how to eliminate verb tense errors|
|Friday||Identifying Errors of Singular and Plural Nouns||A look at the basics of using antecedents and pronouns|
1. Active and Passive Voice
You may have heard your teachers toss around the terms 'passive voice' and 'active voice'. But if you've never really understood what it means to write actively or passively, stick with us -- and learn how to turn to awkward passive sentences into bright, active ones.
2. How to Write Logical Sentences and Avoid Faulty Comparisons
Your sentences may not always make as much sense as you think they do, especially if you're comparing two or more things. It's easy to let comparisons become illogical, incomplete, or ambiguous. Learn how to avoid making faulty comparisons on your way to writing a great essay.
3. How to Write Well: What Makes Writing Good?
From great ideas to great execution, learn what makes writing 'good' and how to transform your writing from 'okay' to accomplished through the use of specific examples, great ideas, and organization.
4. How to Write With Good Diction to Develop Style, Tone & Point-of-View
Developing a good writing style starts with developing good diction. You can't craft an essay or story the way you want without being able to choose the right words first. Here's how.
5. How to Write with Idioms or Phrasal Verbs
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify idioms and phrasal verbs. Once you can recognize these parts of speech, you will be able to use them yourself in your writing.
6. Sentence Clarity: How to Write Clear Sentences
Just because you know a good sentence when you read one doesn't mean that you think it's easy to put one together - forget about writing an essay's worth. Learn how to write clear sentences and turn rough ones into gems.
7. Sentence Structure: Identify and Avoid 'Mixed Structure' Sentences
A mixed structure sentence is a common error that occurs when a writer starts a sentence with one structure but switches to a different structure in the middle of the sentence. This video will teach you how to spot and avoid this type of error.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- American Novels for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Identifying Usage Errors in 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Prose Lesson Plans
- 9th Grade Essay Basics Lesson Plans
- Literary Terms for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Dramatic Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Introduction to High School Writing Lesson Plans
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Text Analysis & Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Ancient Literature for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Poetry for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Drama for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- British Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Capitalization & Spelling for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Elements of Grammar for 9th Grade Lesson Plans
- Punctuation in Writing for 9th Grade Lesson Plans