About This Chapter
Use of Engineering & Design in Scientific Learning - Chapter Summary
Review video and text lessons developed by top instructors to get an in-depth look at ways engineering and design are used in scientific learning. Each lesson touches on a different concept to ensure you get a good grasp of the impact of technology on society, the technical aspects of physics, how science is used to solve societal problems and more. Explore these lessons in any sequence and as often as you desire. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define a scientific model
- Share the relationship between engineering and the technical applications of physics
- Identify steps involved in the engineering cycle
- Discuss the purpose of statistics and statistical models
- Provide details about how humans impact the environment
- List the benefits of integrated curriculum
Review the lessons at your leisure from your computer or mobile devices to absorb the information in this chapter in a manner that best suits your study needs. If you have any questions about how engineering and design are used in scientific learning, send them to our knowledgeable experts. At any time, assess your understanding by taking the short quiz with each lesson. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your comprehension of lesson topics.
1. Scientific Models: Definition & Examples
What are scientific models and how are they used? Learn about the different types of scientific models, including visual, mathematical, and computer models, and discover some real-life examples of each.
2. Engineering Design & Technical Applications of Physics
Learn about how engineering involves technical applications of physics, and be able to give multiple examples of engineering design in the real world. Take a quiz and see how much you know.
3. Steps of the Engineering Design Cycle
Learn about the steps an engineer takes to design, build, and optimize a product, also called the engineering design cycle. See what you've picked up with a quiz.
4. The Purpose of Statistical Models
Understanding statistics requires that you understand statistical models. This lesson will help you understand the purpose of statistics, statistical models, and types of variables.
5. How Technology Impacts Society & the Environment
What is technology? And how has it changed society over the last couple of centuries? Discover how different our lives would be without technology, but also how the benefits come with harms to our environment.
6. How Science & Technology Can Be Used to Solve Society's Problems
What is science and technology, and how do we use them to solve society's problems? Learn about the many advances humans have made thanks to science, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Human Impacts on the Environment
The human population continues to grow, but the size of Earth and the resources available for our use are limited. Humans greatly impact the world around them, and our actions can and often do have dramatic and long-lasting consequences.
8. Integrated Curriculum: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Have you ever wondered what and how an integrated curriculum works? Learn about this hot topic that is shaping how teachers teach and students learn in the classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2)(211/212/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Information Resources
- Language Processing & Development
- Language Teaching Strategies for Diverse Students
- Teaching Phonics, Phonemic Awareness & Fluency
- Teaching the Foundations of English Language Arts
- Teaching Word Recognition in Early Childhood
- Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
- Language Knowledge & Vocabulary
- Teaching Reading Comprehension in Early Childhood
- Teaching Literacy with Informational Texts
- Early Childhood Writing Development & Instruction
- Promoting Literacy Through Listening
- Early Childhood Reading Issues & Interventions
- Language Arts Assessments in Early Childhood
- Math Instruction & Assessment in Early Childhood
- Teaching Numbers in Early Childhood Education
- Basic Mathematical Operations & Conversions
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Measurement & Geometry
- Data, Statistics and Probability
- Scientific Inquiry & Investigation
- Physical Science Basics
- Scientific Concepts for the Living Environment
- Major U.S. Historical Events
- Role of New York in Shaping the U.S.
- Geography Concepts
- Human Population Distribution Patterns
- Relationship Between Economics, Government & Politics
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship in the U.S.
- Social Studies Research Skills
- Visual Arts Techniques
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Health, Safety & Community Awareness
- Physical Development & Activities in Early Childhood
- Understanding Childhood Development & Care
- Consumer Economics & Personal Resource Management
- Career Development Resources
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood Flashcards