About This Chapter
Use of Information Systems in Business - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, what an information system is will be defined, as well as how it applies specifically to business. You will learn about the concepts of processing, input, feedback and output. The resources available in information systems, including networks, software and people, are also introduced.
As you progress through the chapter, you will learn about the jobs available in the information systems industry and how information provides market advantages. This chapter will show you how to:
- Define information system
- Explain how input and output work in information systems
- Differentiate between hardware and software
- Understand the career options available in informations systems
- Strategize using tools provided by information systems
To watch just one part of a video lesson, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline to go directly to that part of the video. Our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes can be accessed at any time, seven days a week. If you need help as you review the lessons, contact one of our instructors for help. The lesson quizzes and chapter tests can be used to see how well you've understood the material.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. Input, Processing, Output & Feedback: Information System Components
What are the components that really make an information system work? In this lesson, we'll explore IPOS (input, process, output and storage) and how this system works.
3. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
What are the resources an information system needs? Discover how networks, hardware, software, data and people work together to create usable information.
4. Information Systems Jobs & Career Options
In this lesson, we'll give an overview of some of the careers in the information systems and technology fields. You have options, so let's explore them.
5. Business Strategies: Market Advantages Provided by Information Systems
What business strategies might an information system use? We'll take a look at the concepts of business process modeling, process re-engineering, total quality management and competitive advantage and see how they relate to information systems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Business Education (542): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Contract Law
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Ethics of Advertising, Marketing & Privacy
- Property Law Basics
- Employment Law
- Collective Bargaining & Unions
- Workplace Communication
- The Central Bank & Monetary Policy
- Economic & Political Systems
- Basics of Economics & Finance
- Economic Indicators
- Fiscal & Monetary Policies in Economics
- International Trade Laws & Regulations
- Financial Management & Planning
- Fundamentals of Money & Banking
- Principles of Personal Finance
- Securities Market Basics
- Creditors' Rights in Business Law
- Negotiable Instruments
- Insurance & Managing Risk
- Business Planning & Organizational Design
- Organizational & Group Behaviors in Business Management
- Management Styles & Theory
- Leadership and Management
- Motivation in Business Management
- Strategic Decision Making & Problem Solving
- Work Groups & Teams
- Human Resources Basics
- Employee Benefits
- Production & Operations Management
- Computation in Business
- Basic Statistical Analysis for Business
- Quantitative Analysis in Business
- Accounting Fundamentals
- Customer Relationship Strategies & Maintenance
- Starting a New Business
- E-Commerce Business Models
- Business Software
- Network Systems Technology Overview
- Information Security & Protection
- Career & Professional Development in Business
- GACE Business Education Flashcards