About This Chapter
User Interface Design in Software Engineering - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter makes it easy to gain full comprehension of user interface design in software engineering. Browse engaging lessons at your own pace to learn about or strengthen your knowledge of application interface design, human interface design principles and more. Check your understanding of any lessons in this chapter by taking the accompanying quizzes. If you want a broader overview of this chapter, be sure to take the comprehensive exam. The dashboard keeps track of your progress and lets you submit any lesson topic questions to our experts. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define user interface design
- Outline human interface design guidelines and principles
- List and discuss steps and procedures for analyzing user interface design
- Detail steps involved in implementing user interface design
- Describe application interfaces and explain what is needed for the web and mobile
- Create swim-lanes for a user interface design
1. What is User Interface Design? - Examples & Definition
If it weren't for the field of user interface design, you might be having a very tough time using your computer. In this lesson, you'll learn about user interface design and some of the techniques designers use to ensure hardware and software is easy to use. You'll also get a brief overview of user requirements analysis, information architecture and usability testing.
2. Human Interface Design Principles & Guidelines
Our interactions shape our world, so controlling the nature of those interactions is of prime importance. In this lesson, we'll take a look at interface design and some principles used when adapting it for humans.
3. Analyzing User Interface Design: Steps & Procedures
In this lesson, we will learn the steps and processes for analyzing user interfaces. We will touch upon user analysis, task analysis, use cases, workflow analysis, display analysis etc.
4. Implementing User Interface Design: Steps & Examples
In this lesson, we'll take a look at user interface design, objects and actions, event modeling, and how a user interprets the design in action. Once finished, you should have a good understanding of this important activity.
5. Application Interface Design: Web & Mobile
Interface design is an important area these days. In this lesson, we'll take a look at Application Interfaces, what is needed for the web, and how that contrasts with mobile.
6. Practical Application for Software Engineering: User Interface Design
Because software engineers have a highly technical skill set, it can be difficult for them to understand their system from a non-technical point of view. To overcome this challenge, engineers can design user interfaces that are user-friendly.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 307: Software Engineering course
- Introduction to Software Engineering
- Process Models in Software Engineering
- Development & Testing Methods in Software Engineering
- Agile Development in Software Engineering
- Software Requirements & System Models
- Software Requirements Engineering
- Software Design & Software Reuse
- Software Architectural Design
- Component-Level Design in Software Engineering
- Software Verification & Validation
- Software Management
- Emerging Technologies in Software Engineering
- Required Assignments for Computer Science 307: Software Engineering