About This Chapter
User Interface Design - Chapter Summary
The instructors of this chapter's lessons will present helpful and informative lessons on the definition of user interface design, how it works, why it is important, and some different examples you may encounter. When your employees finish the lessons, they will have a thorough understanding of:
- The definition and examples of user interface design
- The patterns and best practice of user interface design
- User interface design principles and guidelines
- Natural user interface
- User interface design in mobile apps
Each lesson goes through these topics--and others--clear and thoroughly, so that employees will learn all information they need to know regardless of skill level or previous knowledge. Once they have finished reviewing the information, they can test their understanding of some of these topics by taking the chapter's practice quizzes.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: Given the importance of user interface design on current technology, employees will need to have solid comprehension of what it is and how it works.
- Makes distinctions: Since there are many examples of user interface design, your employees will need to understand some of the main types you may encounter.
- Develops skills: The importance of user interface design means that experience developing it is vital skill in today's workforce.
By the end of this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Know the definition and importance of user interface design
- Identify different, significant examples of user interface design
- Understand the principles and guidelines of user interface design
- Develop user interface design on their own
1. What is User Interface Design? - Examples & Definition
If it weren't for the field of user interface design, you might be having a very tough time using your computer. In this lesson, you'll learn about user interface design and some of the techniques designers use to ensure hardware and software is easy to use. You'll also get a brief overview of user requirements analysis, information architecture and usability testing.
2. User Interface Design: Patterns & Best Practices
In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the best practices when it comes to user interface and user experience design. You'll learn about the importance of style guides, libraries, and design when it comes to designing usable applications.
3. How to Become a User Interface Designer
In this lesson, we will be looking at what a user interface (UI) is all about and why it is important to have one designed. We will also look at who the UI designer is and what it takes to become one.
4. Human Interface Design Principles & Guidelines
Our interactions shape our world, so controlling the nature of those interactions is of prime importance. In this lesson, we'll take a look at interface design and some principles used when adapting it for humans.
5. Shneiderman's Eight Golden Rules of Interface Design
With the computer becoming a larger part of our daily lives, it is no wonder that considerable work has gone into making them easier to use. In this lesson, we'll take a look at one researcher, Ben Shneiderman, his work, his golden rules, and how these rules are used.
6. Natural User Interface: Definition & Examples
Our ability to use and interact with the things around us determines how effective we will be. In this lesson, we'll take a look at user interfaces, what makes them natural, and some examples.
7. Application Interface Design: Web & Mobile
Interface design is an important area these days. In this lesson, we'll take a look at Application Interfaces, what is needed for the web, and how that contrasts with mobile.
8. User Interface Design in Mobile Apps
In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the issues in mobile interface design. You'll learn about some of the differences between desktop and mobile interfaces, particularly in regard to screen space, responsiveness and the need for user interface testing.
9. User Interface Design in Video Games
Video games are very popular these days. Just look around, or ask anyone that has kids. In this lesson, we'll take a look at user interfaces, and how they are used in video games.
10. What is User Interface Testing? - Tools & Definition
Testing is a big component of product development these days as manufacturers attempt to prove the viability of their product offerings. In this lesson, we'll take a look at one part of that process, user interface testing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.