About This Chapter
Using a Graphing Calculator - Chapter Summary
Make using a graphing calculator simple with help from the lessons in this chapter. Expert instructors explore the basic features of this calculator and provide tips for solving equations and systems of equations. Review these lessons at your leisure anywhere you can access an Internet connection. Once finished, you will be ready for the following:
- Describing basic features and functions of a graphic calculator
- Demonstrating your ability to solve equations by graphing on a graphing calculator
- Showcasing your knowledge of trigonometric functions and exponential keys on the calculator
- Using a graphing calculator to enter functions, plot curves and find intersections
Video and text lessons are accessible any time from your computer, smartphone or tablet. Review them as many times as needed to feel confident that you understand how to use a graphing calculator. When ready, take short quizzes to gauge your comprehension of the lessons. A practice exam is also available to reinforce concepts explored in this chapter.
1. Basic Features & Functions of a Graphing Calculator
This lesson goes over some of the basic features and functions of a graphing calculator: graphing, finding intersections, zooming, and solving equations.
2. Solving Equations by Graphing on a Graphing Calculator
One of the most useful aspects of having a graphing calculator is to be able to use it to solve equations. However, the word 'solve' has multiple potential meanings, as this lesson will demonstrate.
3. Trigonometry Functions & Exponentials on a Calculator
Despite the fact that you've probably used a scientific calculator since middle school, it's really only in high school and college that you learn what all the keys are for. In this lesson, we look at trigonometric functions and exponential keys.
4. Solving Systems of Equations by Graphing Calculator
Plotting the curves for a system of equations lets us see where the curves cross. These intersections are the solutions. In this lesson, we use a graphing calculator to enter functions, plot curves and find intersections.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Working with Polynomials
- Arithmetic & Geometric Sequences
- Understanding Square Roots
- Exponential Expression Math
- Basics of Solving Word Problems
- Understanding Coordinate Graphs
- Understanding Linear Equations
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Linear Functions & Equations
- Exponential Functions
- Calculating & Graphing Inequalities
- Algebraic Distribution
- Overview of Algebraic Expressions
- Overview of Algebraic Equations
- Solving Quadratic Equations
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra I Flashcards