About This Chapter
Using Algebraic Functions - Chapter Summary
Reviewing the lessons gives you the ability to manipulate functions and find the range and domain of functions. You'll get to work out practice problems which will help you assess your skills and understanding.
The deeper you go into this chapter, the more you'll explore the different types of functions and their properties. After you have completed the lessons, you might:
- Understand composite functions
- Solve equations with different variables
- Use function operations
- Perform subtraction, addition, division and multiplication functions
- Define inverse functions and transformations in math
- Compare and contrast exponential growth and decay
- Identify the formula used for total cost in economics
Learning new skills and understanding central concepts in regards to functions won't necessarily be hard when you study the lessons in this chapter. Professional instructors break down math principles and topics, making them easier to understand. After watching all of the videos, see what information you remember by using the self-assessment quizzes.
1. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
2. Domain & Range of Composite Functions: Definition & Examples
Learn what makes a function a composite function and also learn how the parts of a composite function determine its domain. Also in this video lesson, learn about the range of composite functions.
3. Manipulating Functions and Solving Equations for Different Variables
Functions can be manipulated to solve for many different variables. There are certain rules to follow, but if the rules are adhered to, solving equations can be quite simple. This lesson will show you how.
4. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
5. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Transformations in Math: Definition & Graph
In geometry, transformation refers to the movement of objects in the coordinate plane. This lesson will define and give examples of each of the four common transformations and end with a quiz to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
8. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
9. Total Cost in Economics: Definition & Formula
Learn about what total cost really means in the economic world. Find out the important components that make up total cost and see how to correctly calculate some common total costs of products and services you may be familiar with.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (096): Practice & Study Guide course
- Basic Number Sense
- Fundamentals of Calculation
- Mathematical Reasoning & Problem-Solving
- Logic in Mathematics
- Expressions, Functions & Operations
- Expressions & Equations in Algebra
- Understanding Algebraic Functions
- Polynomials, Rational Equations & Trigonometric Equations
- Introduction to Basic Geometry
- Measuring Geometric Figures
- Relationships Between Figures in Geometry
- Basics of Trigonometry
- Fundamentals of Statistics
- Bivariate Relationships in Statistics
- Using Tables & Graphs
- Interpreting Statistical Data
- Probability Overview
- Introduction to Conditional Probability & Diagrams
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Literary Themes & Main Ideas
- Strategies for Effective Writing
- Reading Strategies & Literary Analysis
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking
- Conventions in Writing: Effective Usage
- Constructing Sentences & Paragraphs
- Argumentative Writing Overview
- Structuring Informational & Explanatory Texts
- MTTC Professional Readiness Flashcards