About This Chapter
Using Data & Databases in Health Care Informatics - Chapter Summary
As you work through this collection of informative and expertly taught lessons, you'll review the uses, advantages and challenges of data/databases in healthcare informatics. Our instructors simplify complex information technology concepts, and you can expect to review the functions of database management, data mining, data warehousing, big data analytics and big data storage. To help you retain the information you learn, we've included practice quizzes throughout the chapter. These resources are available any time of day or night, and you can use any Internet-connected device to study. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the components and architecture of IT systems
- Differentiate between several types of databases
- Discuss the purpose of database management in organizations
- Compare database management system models
- Explain the purposes of data mining and data warehousing in business intelligence
- Evaluate the advantages of healthcare data mining
- Define big data concepts and evaluate examples of big data analytics
- Assess the pros and cons of big data
- Describe solutions for big data storage
1. What are Databases? - Examples & Types
In this lesson, we'll be looking at databases, which are computer mechanisms for storing and retrieving data. Test your knowledge following the lesson with a quiz.
2. What is Database Management? - How Databases Help Organizations
Organizations use large amounts of data. Database management makes it possible to organize and analyze these data. Learn why database management is important to support business operations.
3. Models of Database Management Systems (DBMS)
Get to know the different models of database management systems and learn how each one is used to systematically organize large amounts of data in a logical manner.
4. Data Warehousing and Data Mining: Information for Business Intelligence
Collections of databases that work together are called data warehouses. This makes it possible to integrate data from multiple databases. Data mining is used to help individuals and organizations make better decisions.
5. Benefits of Data Mining in Healthcare
Data Mining is exactly what it sounds like - mining the ocean of data we have to obtain meaningful conclusions. Healthcare is only one of many industries benefiting from data mining. In this lesson, we'll learn what data mining is, its advantages and how it is applied to the healthcare industry.
6. What is Big Data? - Definition, Concepts & Uses
The concept of big data does is boundless and is used on a global scale. In this lesson, we'll define big data and discuss its factors and uses around the world.
7. What is Big Data Analytics? - Definition & Examples
Companies often have an abundance of data to comb through. It can be difficult to know how to interpret all of that data. One method that has helped make that task more manageable is using big data analytics. Let us take a look now!
8. Big Data: Advantages & Challenges
Big Data is a rapidly growing computing, ripe with many opportunities. In this lesson, we'll look at where we get this big data from, and the many advantages and challenges that comes with big data.
9. Big Data Storage Solutions
Big data is a well-established concept in business and IT worlds. An ever-increasing volume of data is constantly being gathered and accessed in our interconnected digital world. Learn what options are available for storing big data.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 309: Healthcare Informatics course
- Introduction to Health Care Informatics
- Electronic Health Records & Evidence-Based Practices
- Best Practices in Information Technology
- Project Development
- Consumer Informatics
- TeleHealth Overview
- Health Care Professionals & Technology Evaluation
- Trends in Health Care Informatics
- Required Assignments for Health 309