About This Chapter
Using Data in Psychology - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines numerous approaches to using data in psychological research. The lessons within flesh out several important concepts of data collection and application while discussing related terms and examples. By the end of the chapter you'll have bolstered your understanding of topics like outgroup homogeneity, statistical bias, Response to Intervention, and all of the following:
- Forms of Heuristics
- Using algorithms in psychology
- Cultural bias
- Evidence-based practice
- Measuring change after intervention
- Techniques of applied behavior analysis
The dashboard feature allows you to keep tabs on your progress as you go along, with links to relevant practice quizzes and additional courses you can consider as a means of supplementing your studies. These quizzes can be taken an unlimited number of times and can also be printed as worksheets if you need a break from the computer.
1. Types of Heuristics: Availability, Representativeness & Base-Rate
Did you know that our brain uses strategies to process information and draw conclusions? Although we're able to reach conclusions through these mental strategies, sometimes, our reasoning can be off. Read on to discover how our brain draws these conclusions and why they can be wrong.
2. How Algorithms are Used in Psychology
Algorithms are step-by-step logical procedures that, if followed faithfully, always produce an accurate result. In this lesson, we will discuss how algorithms are used in psychology.
3. Outgroup Homogeneity: Definition & Effects
In this lesson, we'll learn about outgroup homogeneity, including how it compares to ingroups. Learn more about the effects of outgroup homogeneity from examples, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Bias in Statistics: Definition & Examples
Statistics can be a powerful tool in research. Unfortunately, statistics can also have faults. In this lesson, you will learn about the faults in statistics and how to critically examine potential biases in research.
5. Applied Behavior Analysis: Definition & Techniques
In this lesson, we will discuss applied behavior analysis, one of the most common and evidence-based methods used to treat Autism. Learn about the techniques that are used and more. Then, test your knowledge.
6. What Is Response to Intervention (RTI)? - Tiers & Strategies
The Response to Intervention process, or RTI, was designed and implemented in public schools as an attempt at early intervention for students with exceptional educational needs. In this video, we will look at the basics of this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP): Study Guide & Practice course
- Neuroanatomy & Bases of Behavior
- Neurophysiology & Behavior
- Psychopharmacology Classification & Guidelines
- Behavioral Genetics Overview
- Methodologies for Biological Bases of Behavior
- Elements of Cognition
- Principles of Learning
- Models of Motivation & Emotion
- Cognition & Health
- Psychosocial Factors in Health
- Social Perception & Cognition
- Social Interaction in Psychology
- Group Dynamics in Psychology
- Environmental & Evolutionary Psychological Perspectives
- Social-Contextual Issues & Human Behavior
- Race & Ethnicity in Psychology
- Psychology of Gender & Sexuality
- Disability & Rehabilitation
- Immigration & Cultural Issues
- Human Lifespan Development
- Human Development Risk Factors
- Assessment, Diagnosis & Psychometrics
- Psychological Assessment Models & Instruments
- Psychological Assessments
- Diagnostic Classification Systems
- Technology & Assessments in Psychology
- Psychology Treatment, Prevention & Supervision
- Consultation Models in Psychology
- Psychology Career Counseling
- Healthcare Systems & Wellness
- Research Methods & Statistics
- Research & Evaluation in Psychology
- Psychology Ethical Codes & Standards
- Ethical, Legal & Professional Issues in Psychology
- EPPP Study Guide & Practice Flashcards