About This Chapter
Using Fractions - Chapter Summary
The kid-friendly video lessons in this chapter help your students better understand fractions and how to solve problems that use them. Lesson topics include ordering fractions as they compare to each other, identifying equivalent fractions and changing between improper fractions and number forms. After completing this chapter, students should be able do the following:
- Explain what a fraction is
- Give examples of equivalent fractions
- Add and subtract like and unlike mixed numbers and fractions
- Multiply and divide mixed numbers and fractions
- Complete math problems that involve mixed numbers and fractions
Our video lessons and quizzes are accessible on any computer, mobile device or tablet 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Each video lesson comes with a full written transcript for a text-based alternative. Transcripts include key terms and concepts set off in bold print. The quizzes and more comprehensive chapter exam can be used to gauge how well students understand these concepts and how ready they are for an upcoming test.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
5. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
6. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
7. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
8. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
9. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Introduction to Numbers
- Place Value and Rounding
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Factors and Prime Numbers
- Mathematical Properties and Mixed Operations
- Working with Decimals & Percents
- Ratios and Proportion
- Understanding Algebraic Expressions
- Basics of Measurement
- Geometry and the Properties of Shapes
- Basics of Statistics
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 11+ Math Flashcards