About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering German nouns will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn German noun rules. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the usage of common German nouns
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning German (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn German noun rules
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra German learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Using German Nouns chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Using German Nouns chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any German noun question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a German nouns unit of a standard German language course. Topics covered include:
- German rules for noun declension
- Word order rules for German
- Rules for singular and plural German nouns
- German compound noun rules
- Masculine, feminine and neuter German nouns
1. German Noun Declension: Explanation & Rules
In this lesson, we'll take a look at the declension of nouns in German. We will learn the four cases, when to use them, and how different nouns change in the cases. We will also mention a special group of nouns that belong to the n-declension.
2. German Word Order Rules
Along with having different words, each language has its own rules. Learning a lot of vocabulary is great, but we need to know what order to use all the new words we've learned. This lesson aims to teach you the basic German word order rules.
3. German Noun Rules: Singular & Plural
Nouns are one of many aspects of learning a language, and are often the ones we learn first. This lesson will explain how to use nouns in German, both singularly and plural.
4. German Compound Nouns: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will talk about German compound nouns - words that are made of two or more nouns combined together to form one word. We will learn some of their grammatical characteristics and how to use them.
5. German Nouns: Masculine, Feminine, Neuter
In this lesson we will learn about the three genders of German nouns: masculine, feminine, and neuter, as well as some tips on how to determine gender when you aren't sure.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic German: Help & Review course
- German Special Occasion Vocabulary
- German Food & Restaurant Vocabulary
- German Words for Clothes
- German Time & Dates
- German Hobbies & Activities
- German Nature & Climate Vocabulary
- German Words for Animals
- Describing People in German
- German House & Home Vocabulary
- German Travel Vocabulary
- German Health & Wellness Vocabulary
- Types of German Pronouns
- Using Modal Verbs in German
- German Grammatical Cases
- Using German Adverbs
- German Science, Technology & Math Vocabulary
- German Conversational Terms
- German Expressions
- German Location Vocabulary
- German Vocabulary for Affection & Intimacy
- German Verb Conjugation
- German Sentence Construction
- Types of German Verbs
- German Professional Vocabulary
- Using German Adjectives
- German Verb Tenses
- German Numbers & Letters
- German Grammatical Moods