About This Chapter
Using Mathematical Calculators - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a quality examination of ways to use graphing calculators and computers to find numerical solutions to problems. Feel confident in your understanding of basic calculator features and the steps involved in solving equations. After reviewing our lessons, you will be ready to:
- Use a calculator to solve equations
- Describe basic functions and features of graphic calculator
- Graph functions using graphing technologies
- Evaluate and graph functions on a graphing calculator
Feel free to review the lessons in this chapter online, or print them in text form to study when you don't have access to a computer, smartphone or tablet. If you develop questions about topics covered in the lessons, don't hesitate to submit them to our subject-matter experts. Enjoy the ability to test your knowledge of ways to use mathematical calculators by taking our mini quizzes and practice exam. Visit this chapter as many times as you'd like to boost your confidence and ensure you're ready to excel on your test.
1. How to Solve Equations on a Calculator
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to use a basic scientific calculator to help you solve your mathematical equations. You will learn how a scientific calculator makes it easier to calculate your mathematical expressions.
2. Basic Features & Functions of a Graphing Calculator
This lesson goes over some of the basic features and functions of a graphing calculator: graphing, finding intersections, zooming, and solving equations.
3. Using Graphing Technologies to Graph Functions
Math, in some ways, is a lot easier to do today than it was a hundred years ago. In this lesson, you'll learn about the various technologies you can use to help you graph your functions, even 3-D ones.
4. How to Evaluate & Graph Functions on a Graphing Calculator
This lesson will teach you how to use a graphing calculator to evaluate a function at a given value and how to graph a function. It will also give you some trouble-shooting tips for these tasks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Academically Advanced (52): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Major Literary Genres
- Literary Elements & Analysis
- Responding to Literature
- Major Authors, Works & Movements in Literature
- Principles & Application of Rhetoric
- The Research & Composition Process
- Conventions of Written English
- Number Theory & Estimation
- Basic Number Properties
- Understanding & Solving Functions
- Fundamental Principles of Calculus
- Principles of Euclidean Geometry
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Principles of Trigonometry
- Basics of Probability & Statistics
- Discrete & Finite Mathematics
- Principles of Classroom Assessment
- Assessing & Identifying Gifted Students
- Differentiated Instruction for Academically Advanced Students
- Grouping Options for Academically Advanced Students
- Resources for Academically Advanced Student Education
- MTEL Academically Advanced Test Flashcards