About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help using German modal verbs will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about German modal verbs and their conjugations. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding German modal verb conjugations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning German (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about modal verbs in German
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra German learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Using Modal Verbs in German chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Using Modal Verbs in German chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any German modal verb question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a modal verbs unit of a standard German language course. Topics covered include:
- Modal verbs in German
- Past tense conjugations of German modal verbs
- Conjugating 'mussen' in the imperative and past tense
- How to conjugate 'wollen' in the regular and imperfect
- The conjugation of the German verb 'durfen'
1. German Modal Verbs
In this lesson we will learn the six modal verbs in German and how to use them. Modals are types of verbs that are used to indicate modality such as likelihood, ability, permission, and obligation.
2. German Modal Verbs: Past Tense Conjugation
In this lesson we will learn the imperfect or simple past conjugation forms the of the six German modal verbs. We will also review how to use modal verbs in a sentence.
3. Mussen Conjugation in German: Past Tense
In this lesson, we will get to know the German verb ''müssen'' and focus specifically on conjugating it in the past tense. At the end of the lesson, take a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
4. Wollen Conjugation in German: Regular & Imperfect
In this lesson, we will learn two forms of the modal verb ''wollen'' (to want): the present tense and the imperfect form (also called the simple past). We will cover the conjugation and how to use these modal verbs with nouns and with other verbs.
5. German Conjugation of Durfen
In this lesson we will learn about the verb ''durfen'', which is the imperfect form of the modal verb duerfen. We will go over the meaning/usage and learn the conjugation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic German: Help & Review course
- German Special Occasion Vocabulary
- German Food & Restaurant Vocabulary
- German Words for Clothes
- German Time & Dates
- German Hobbies & Activities
- German Nature & Climate Vocabulary
- German Words for Animals
- Describing People in German
- German House & Home Vocabulary
- German Travel Vocabulary
- German Health & Wellness Vocabulary
- Types of German Pronouns
- German Grammatical Cases
- Using German Adverbs
- German Science, Technology & Math Vocabulary
- German Conversational Terms
- German Expressions
- German Location Vocabulary
- German Vocabulary for Affection & Intimacy
- German Verb Conjugation
- German Sentence Construction
- Types of German Verbs
- German Professional Vocabulary
- Using German Nouns
- Using German Adjectives
- German Verb Tenses
- German Numbers & Letters
- German Grammatical Moods