About This Chapter
Using Software & Media to Communicate - Chapter Summary
This entertaining chapter goes over different types of software and media and explains how they are used to communicate. Get reacquainted with Microsoft Office, HTML, CSS and other forms of software and programming languages. In no time, you will have the knowledge to:
- Differentiate between Microsoft Office and Open Office
- List and describe software for personal, enterprise and workgroup objectives
- Compare and contrast MS Word, InDesign and WordPerfect
- Describe the purpose of presentation software and graphic suites
- Identify and discuss web page design and programming languages
- Discuss the use of graphics and multimedia in writing projects
- Explain how to work with audio and video multimedia software
We offer short quizzes you can take to determine which lessons to study and assess your progress through the chapter. If you're looking to test your overall knowledge of concepts covered in this chapter, be sure to take our practice exam. The dashboard makes it easy to revisit lessons and even send your lesson topic questions to our subject-matter experts. Need to study on the go? All of our study tools are accessible around-the-clock via your preferred smartphone or tablet.
1. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
2. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
3. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
4. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
Web design is the creation and visual design of documents displayed on the World Wide Web. It is important to create engaging and visually appealing websites to attract and retain customers. Many factors must be considered when designing a website. This video will explore the steps in Web design and the programming languages needed to create a dynamic and interactive website.
6. Using Graphics & Multimedia in Writing Projects
This lesson explores different ways to integrate graphics and multimedia into writing. Using newspapers as an example, we will look at how a front page photo adds dimension to a headline. Then, we will examine digital storytelling techniques.
7. Multimedia Software: Working with Audio and Video
Audio and video have become increasingly important in today's computer systems. Learn about how media players play back multimedia files as well as audio and video editing software to create your own productions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Overview
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards