About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school precalculus material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school precalculus. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding trig functions or working with the double angle formula.
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about using trigonometric functions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Using Trigonometric Functions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Using Trigonometric Functions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any trig functions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll find answers to questions including:
- What are the definitions of sine, cosine, cotangent, secant and cosecant?
- What are unit circles, special right triangles and special angles?
- How do I use the double angle formula?
- How do I convert between radians and degrees?
1. Trigonometry: Sine and Cosine
Learn an easy trick to help you solve trigonometry problems, including problems with sine, cosine and inverse trig functions. At the end of this lesson, you'll know what SohCahToa means and how to use it.
2. Graphing Tangent from the Unit Circle
This lesson provides instruction on how to use the unit circle to find the value of the tangent at certain common angle measures and graph the tangent function.
3. Other Trigonometric Functions: Cotangent, Secant & Cosecant
After watching this video lesson, you will understand how the trigonometric functions cotangent, secant, and cosecant are related to the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.
4. Unit Circle: Memorizing the First Quadrant
Memorizing the unit circle can be a daunting task, but this lesson will show you a pattern to help you memorize the points, degree measures, and radian measures for the entire first quadrant.
5. Using Unit Circles to Relate Right Triangles to Sine & Cosine
The unit circle is a helpful tool for understanding trigonometric concepts. In this lesson, we'll look at right triangles on the unit circle to better grasp sine and cosine.
6. Practice Problems with Circular Trigonometric Functions
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the unit circle to help you find your answer to trig problems without making too many calculations. Watch and learn how you can find your angle in radians on the unit circle.
7. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
8. Trigonometric Function Values of Special Angles
After watching this video lesson, you will better understand the six trigonometric functions. You will also know what special angles there are and what the trigonometric values for these special angles are.
9. Law of Sines: Definition and Application
Don't get stuck trying to find missing sides or angles in a triangle. Use the Law of Sines to rescue you from any perilous triangle in which you have just a few pieces of information.
10. Law of Cosines: Definition and Application
In this lesson, we'll learn how to solve problems involving three sides and one angle in a triangle. The Law of Cosines, a modification of the Pythagorean Theorem, will save the day.
11. The Double Angle Formula
When you encounter a doubled angle, there are special formulas that can help you handle trigonometric value. In this lesson, we'll define and practice using the double angle formulas for sine, cosine and tangent.
12. Converting Between Radians and Degrees
Angles can be measured in degrees or radians. This lesson will explore the difference and provide you with a simple calculation that can be used to convert degrees into radians and radians into degrees.
13. Cost Function in Calculus: Formula & Examples
This lesson will explore the total cost function and the concepts of average and marginal cost. It will also cover how to find the minimum and maximum cost.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Precalculus: Help and Review course
- Working with Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Working With Inequalities: Help and Review
- Absolute Value Equations: Help and Review
- Working with Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Systems of Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Mathematical Modeling: Help and Review
- Introduction to Quadratics: Help and Review
- Working with Quadratic Functions: Help and Review
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus: Help and Review
- Functions - Basics for Precalculus: Help and Review
- Understanding Function Operations: Help and Review
- Graph Symmetry: Help and Review
- Graphing with Functions: Help and Review
- Rate of Change: Help and Review
- Polynomial Functions Basics: Help and Review
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions: Help and Review
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients: Help and Review
- Rational Expressions and Function Graphs: Help and Review
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Functions: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Graphs: Help and Review
- Solving Trigonometric Equations: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Identities: Help and Review
- Trigonometric Applications in Precalculus: Help and Review
- Graphing Piecewise Functions: Help and Review
- Vectors, Matrices and Determinants: Help and Review
- Mathematical Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Sets in Algebra: Help and Review
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections: Help and Review
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations: Help and Review
- Continuity: Help and Review
- Limits: Help and Review