About This Chapter
Using Visual Aids in Presentations - Chapter Summary
This chapter delves into the use of visual aids within presentations. You'll get tips for using visual aids, like PowerPoint, and even get advice on considering the impact on your audience. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the importance and purpose of visual aids in presentations
- Identify various types of visual aids
- Prepare effectively for using visual aids
- Name the pros and cons of using PowerPoint for a speech
Each of these lessons provides the opportunity to choose between watching a video or reading a transcript of the content, depending upon your preferred learning method. The transcripts include important terms highlighted in bold, and the timeline feature allows you to easily jump around among the important points of the video you wish to review.
1. Visual Aids in Public Speaking: Importance, Purpose, and Audience Considerations
Giving a speech can be nerve-wracking, and it might seem easy to just skip the visual aids. In this lesson, we'll discuss why that's a bad idea, why visual aids are important, and what elements make a great visual aid.
2. Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking
Many people understand that visual aids can be helpful in public speaking. But what types of visual aids should a person choose? Watch this lesson for information on the types of visual aids and how to choose the best one.
3. Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help make your speech engaging and memorable. But, how do you prepare your visual aids for maximum impact? Watch this lesson to find out how to design and structure effective visual aids for your presentation.
4. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
5. Using PowerPoint for a Speech: Pros & Cons
It seems like every class or speech has PowerPoint slides with it these days. But is that always the right answer? In this lesson, we'll examine the pros and cons of using slideware, like PowerPoint, during your speech or presentation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Speech (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Communication Processes
- The Listening Process
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Elements of Interpersonal Communication
- Oral & Written Language Skills
- Essential Elements of Speech & Discourse
- Communication in Small Groups & Teams
- Understanding & Responding to Presentations
- Interview Preparation & Strategies
- Public Speaking & Audience Analysis
- Preparing for Speeches
- Elements of Speech Delivery
- Vocal Production & Performance Basics
- History, Formats & Logic of Debates
- Ethical Communication
- Media Literacy
- Types & Influence of Mass Communication & Media
- Language Arts in Speech Communication Curriculum
- The Michigan Speech Communication Educator
- MTTC Speech Flashcards