About This Chapter
Vectors in Precalculus - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Select this chapter to learn more about vectors in precalculus. These lessons will explain the different types of vectors and how they are used in this aspect of mathematics. You can explore this chapter to develop your understanding of:
- The definition of a vector
- Vectors in the plane
- Scalar multiplication
- Unit and normal vectors
- Graphing vector functions
- The dot and cross products of vectors
|What is a Vector in Math? - Definition & Examples||Evaluate vectors and their uses.|
|Performing Operations on Vectors in the Plane||Learn how to solve applied problems that involve performing operations on vectors.|
|Scalar Multiplication of Vectors: Definition & Calculations||Focus on understanding the basic calculations that involve scalar multiplication.|
|How to Find Unit & Normal Vectors||Assess the methods for finding normal and unit vectors.|
|How to Graph Vector Functions||Develop an understanding of how vector functions are graphed.|
|The Dot Product of Vectors: Definition & Application||Compare the algebraic and geometric definition a dot product.|
|Finding the Cross Product of Two Vectors||Explain how to find the cross product of two vectors.|
1. What is a Vector in Math? - Definition & Examples
This lesson explores vectors, operations with vectors, and modern uses of vectors. Using relevant examples and diagrams, the lesson will demonstrate the applications of vectors in the world.
2. Performing Operations on Vectors in the Plane
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to add, subtract, and multiply your vectors. Learn how easy it is to perform these operations and what you need to keep in mind when performing these operations.
3. Scalar Multiplication of Vectors: Definition & Calculations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what scalar multiplication is and complete basic calculations involving the scalar multiplication of vectors. A short quiz will follow.
4. How to Find Unit & Normal Vectors
Unit vectors point in the direction of a vector and a normal vector is perpendicular to a vector. In this lesson, we will investigate how to determine unit and normal vectors.
5. How to Graph Vector Functions
Vector functions are often used to describe the position of an object in space. Graphing a vector function is one way to create a visual representation of the motion of the object. In this lesson, you'll learn the steps you need to take to graph vector functions.
6. The Dot Product of Vectors: Definition & Application
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the dot product of vectors both algebraically and geometrically. Learn the difference between the two and what you need in order to calculate them.
7. Finding The Cross Product of Two Vectors
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what a cross product is and calculate the cross product of two vectors. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Honors Precalculus Textbook course
- Working with Linear Equations
- Working With Inequalities
- Absolute Value Equations
- Working with Complex Numbers
- Systems of Linear Equations
- Mathematical Modeling for Precalculus
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Working with Quadratic Functions
- Geometry Basics for Precalculus
- Types of Functions in Precalculus
- Understanding Function Operations
- Graphing Functions in Precalculus
- Graph Symmetry
- Rate of Change
- Polynomial Function Basics in Precalculus
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs in Precalculus
- Exponential Functions & Logarithms in Precalculus
- Using Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Graphs
- Solving Trigonometric Equations
- Trigonometric Identities
- Trigonometric Applications
- Graphing Piecewise Functions in Precalculus
- Matrices and Determinants in Algebra
- Understanding Arithmetic Sequences & Series
- Understanding Geometric Sequences & Series
- Analytic Geometry and Conic Sections
- Polar Coordinates and Parameterizations
- Working with Sequences & Series
- Sets & Probability
- Limits in Precalculus