About This Chapter
Verbal Ability: Sentence Completion - Chapter Summary
This chapter is all about word variations and the way they fit together within a sentence. The lessons included deal with grammatical rules and examples of word classifications. By the end of the lesson, you'll have gone over the following topics:
- Singular and plural nouns, possessive nouns, and collective nouns
- Verb forms and tense
- Action, linking, and auxiliary verbs
- Subject-verb agreement
- Adjectives and adverbs
- Spotting errors in adjectives, adverbs, nouns and agreement
The dashboard feature allows you to track your progress through the material while exploring links to practice quizzes and additional courses recommended based off of what you're studying. The practice quizzes may be taken as many times as you want and can also be printed as worksheets for offline use.
1. What Are Nouns? - Definition, Types & Examples
A noun is a part of speech that identifies a person, place, thing, or idea. In this lesson, in addition to learning how to identify nouns, you'll learn the difference between proper and common nouns and a bit about how nouns function in sentences.
2. Singular & Plural Nouns: Definitions, Rules & Examples
This video takes a look at how singular nouns are turned into plural nouns. Check it out to learn about regular and irregular plurals as well as important definitions, rules, and exceptions.
3. What Are Possessive Nouns? - Examples, Definition & Types
This video explains what you need to know to use apostrophes to make singular and plural nouns possessive. You'll also learn how to avoid mixing up your plurals and possessives.
4. What Are Collective Nouns?
In this lesson, you'll find out what collective nouns are as well as how to ensure that you're using the right verbs and pronouns in sentences that contain them.
5. Verb Forms: Participles & Infinitives
Using verbs correctly involves knowing more than just how to express action in a sentence. This lesson will show you a few special types of verb forms - infinitives, present participles, and past participles - as well as how to use them.
6. Action, Linking and Auxiliary Verbs: Definitions, Functions & Examples
Do you think that a verb is just a verb? Check out this lesson to learn about the differences among action verbs, linking verbs, and auxiliary/helping verbs.
7. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
8. Comparison of Adjectives & Adverbs: Examples, Sentences & Exercises
Adjectives and adverbs are descriptive words that allow our sentences to be much more specific and interesting than they would be without them. This lesson covers the rules for using adjectives and adverbs correctly, including those used in comparisons.
9. How to Identify Errors in Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns & Agreement
All sentences must have agreement. But what does that mean? How do you make words agree? Watch this video lesson to learn the answers to all your questions on agreement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PCAT: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Verbal Ability: Analogies
- Biology: Cell Structure & Division
- Biology: Cellular Processes
- Biology: DNA & Enzymes
- Biology: Genetics
- Animal & Human Behavior
- Biology: Evolution & Natural Selection
- Speciation, Extinction & Taxonomy
- Biology: Intro to Nutrition
- Biology: Nutrition - Carbohydrates
- Biology: Nutrition - Lipids
- Protein in Nutrition
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Biology: Diseases & Prevention
- Biology: Types of Diseases
- Microrganisms & Microbial Ecology
- Medical Microbiology
- Microbiology: The Immune System
- Structures of Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Human Skeletal System
- Muscular System
- The Human Nervous System
- Human Circulatory System Basics
- The Circulatory System, Blood & Blood Vessels
- Respiratory System
- Urinary Systems & Structures
- Functions of the Human Digestive System
- Overview of the Endocrine System
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Integumentary System Overview
- The Five Senses of the Human Body
- The Atom and Atomic Theory
- Chemical Bonding in Physical Chemistry
- Types of Reactions in Chemistry
- Equilibrium in Chemistry
- Overview of Stoichiometry
- Properties of Liquids & Solids
- Gas Laws
- Kinetics & Thermodynamics
- Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Nuclear Processes
- Organic & Inorganic Chemistry
- Reading Comprehension & Analysis
- Fractions & Percents
- Solving Algebraic Equations
- Linear Equations Overview
- Inequalities Overview
- Understanding the Basics of Functions
- Interpreting Tables & Plots
- Basic Statistics & Probability
- Linear Regression & Correlation
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Complex Numbers & Vectors
- Limits of Functions
- Overview of Continuity
- Rate of Change & Calculating Derivatives
- Integrals & Antiderivatives
- PCAT Flashcards