About This Chapter
Veterinary Ethics & Jurisprudence - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter examine the ethical code of conduct for workers in the field of veterinary medicine. Our instructors explain the obligations to animals in clinical and research settings. In other lessons, you'll learn about the laws that regulate the veterinary profession, including those regulating controlled substances. After completing this chapter's lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss common ethical issues and standards in the field of veterinary medicine
- Explain how the veterinarian's oath compares to the physician's Hippocratic oath
- Explore legal issues in the relationship between veterinary medicine provider and the client
- Look at ethics for biomedical research
- Describe federal laws and agencies involved in regulating veterinary medicine
- Give examples of workplace safety laws for veterinary medicine
These brief video lessons simplify this topic to make learning enjoyable. Each lesson contains a short quiz that lets you test your knowledge. Video tags make it easy to return to specific points in the lesson to further review topics that require more study. If you still have questions, you can also contact the instructor.
1. Ethics in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson will go over the definition of ethics and morals, what major organizations set the standard for patient care and ethics in veterinary medicine, and what are some of the unethical behaviors encountered in veterinary medicine.
2. Veterinary Obligations to the Animal Kingdom
This lesson will cover some of the concepts related to the veterinary profession's ethical duties in the face of animal abuse and animal suffering and their obligations to animals and society.
3. The Veterinarian's Oath
This lesson will define the veterinarian's oath and go over its key points and phrases as they pertain to legal and ethical standards in veterinary medicine.
4. Medical & Legal Issues in the Veterinary-Client-Patient Relationship
In this lesson, we'll cover the very important veterinarian-client-patient relationship, what it is, and why it exists in the first place for medical and legal reasons.
5. The Veterinarian's & Veterinary Technician's Codes of Ethics
This lesson will go over some common and important principles found in the Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics and Veterinary Technician Code of Ethics.
6. Ethics in Biomedical Research with Animals
Over the course of this lesson, you'll briefly learn about the history of animal use in research, some arguments for and against it, as well as how such research is regulated.
7. Veterinary Law & Common Law
This lesson will go over the key points related to veterinary law, common law, and statutory law, and how they generally apply to veterinary medicine.
8. Federal Laws, Agencies & Ethics in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson will go over some of the more important federal laws and agencies that pertain to the veterinary world, including the ADA, OSHA, FDA, DEA, and AWA.
9. Labor Laws, Controlled Substance Laws, & the Veterinary Employee Handbook
This lesson outlines equal opportunity laws, fair labor standard policies, the employee handbook, as well as laws pertaining to controlled substances.
10. Laws on Quality of Service in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson will cover the two important types of law that govern quality of service in veterinary medicine as well as what four things must be proven to hold a veterinarian accountable for malpractice.
11. Workplace Safety Laws in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson will go over important federal, state, and common law concepts related to a safe working and business environment in veterinary medicine. OSHA, medical waste, and ordinary negligence are covered here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Veterinary Assistant Exam: Prep & Study Guide course
- The Veterinary Medical Team
- Veterinary Hospital Layout & Purpose
- Working at a Veterinary Hospital
- Medical Equipment in Veterinary Medicine
- Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Medicine
- Decontamination in a Veterinary Hospital
- Zoonotic Diseases
- Veterinary Office Management
- Veterinary Assistant Exam Flashcards