About This Chapter
Veterinary Office Management - Chapter Summary
Watch as our instructors guide you through a series of engaging videos about the ways veterinary assistants can use certain strategies to keep a veterinary office running smoothly. You'll find out about scheduling, finances, and human resources. You will also gain insight into payroll and managing inventory.
The lessons in this chapter cover the handling of accounts receivable and budgeting. In addition, you'll find out how marketing can be used in veterinary offices. By the time you've completed this chapter, you will know how to:
- Describe typical invoicing processes for vets' offices
- Explain the concepts of salary and benefits within a veterinary setting
- Identify marketing strategies that can be used for vets' offices
- Discuss inventory and the items that could be incorporated in it
- Recognize the processes for scheduling and managing appointments
- Talk about human resources laws and concepts that apply to veterinary practices
Our brief, comprehensive video lessons are led by expert instructors and allow you to designate the amount of time you need to cover each topic. For instance, you can re-watch key points in the video by using the video tag function, which will lead you directly to the proper point in the lesson to review important topics. You can also follow along with our lesson transcripts for an alternate approach. If you want to see how much you know, take the accompanying quizzes and review any concepts you might have missed.
1. Invoicing & Fees for Veterinary Offices
This lesson will go over some important points regarding invoices and how they should be detailed, the importance of estimates, as well as credit extensions and debt collection rules.
2. Salary & Benefits for Veterinary Offices
In this lesson, we'll go over some basic but important points regarding salary and benefits in veterinary medicine and we'll define and delineate salary, payroll, gross pay, and net pay.
3. Accounts Receivable & Budgeting for Veterinary Offices
This lesson will outline the basic concept of accounts receivable, outstanding accounts, important check practices, and what a budget is. It will also go over some important rules regarding the acceptance of checks.
4. Marketing in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson covers the very basics of marketing used in veterinary medicine. We'll define marketing, discuss the four P's of marketing, and delineate external versus internal marketing.
5. Inventory Management for Veterinary Offices
In this lesson, we'll take a look at core concepts related to proper inventory management in veterinary medicine as well as some common technical lingo.
6. Managing Appointments for Veterinary Offices
This lesson will outline the basics of telephone etiquette that should be used with clientele when scheduling appointments and when sending out reminders in a veterinary office.
7. Human Resource Issues in Veterinary Medicine
In this lesson, we'll go over the hiring and firing of candidates. We'll also cover what employers look for and how to minimize the termination of employees and why.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Veterinary Assistant Exam: Prep & Study Guide course
- The Veterinary Medical Team
- Veterinary Ethics & Jurisprudence
- Veterinary Hospital Layout & Purpose
- Working at a Veterinary Hospital
- Medical Equipment in Veterinary Medicine
- Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Medicine
- Decontamination in a Veterinary Hospital
- Zoonotic Diseases
- Veterinary Assistant Exam Flashcards