About This Chapter
Video Games in the Digital Age - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert communications instructors discuss the history and evolution of computer and video games, as well as the ways in which video games play into modern-day digital communication. As you work through these bite-sized lessons, you can expect to study digital video game industry technologies, in-game advertising and more. The chapter comes with short quizzes to help you check your understanding of the lesson concepts. You can access these resources on any Internet-connected device, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have. By the end of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Summarize the history of video and computer games
- Describe the functions and uses of video game industry technologies
- Assess the connections between digital communication and video games
- Analyze a case study involving in-game advertising
1. The History of Computer and Video Games
Through this lesson, you will learn about the origins of computer and video gaming as far back as the 1940s, and trace the industry's history from the emergence of Pong, to the wild success of Atari and Nintendo.
2. In-Game Advertising Case Study
In this lesson, we will delve into a case study in which in-game advertising was used in a unique way to boost sales for Pizza Hut. We will discuss the campaign and its effectiveness as well as the effectiveness of in-game advertising as a marketing channel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 106: Communication in the Digital Age course
- Introduction to Communication
- Mass Communication Theories & Models
- Mass Media & Communication
- Media Literacy Fundamentals
- Economics of Mass Media
- Digital Communication Tools
- Impact of Digital Communication
- Digital Media Regulation
- Print Media in the Digital Age
- Television & Movies in the Digital Age