About This Chapter
Viewing & Presenting Images - Chapter Summary
This chapter devotes a few of its lessons to PowerPoint considerations, as well as other visual aids that can be used to present data. You'll also see content on the factors that can impact how a viewer interprets visual information and how to help ensure the presentation is well-received by the audience. Another lesson will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using PowerPoint presentations and other technologies, such as Google Slides. You'll also take a look at the following:
- The major functions that visuals serve in presentations
- Examples of visual graphics and textual graphics
- Important qualities of a message's visual design
- Ethical issues involving visuals
- Copyright infringement
You'll find information presented through both text and video lessons. Each video has a short length, somewhere in the ballpark of five minutes. You can easily find your way back to any segments for reexamination with the video tags. Assess your grasp of the main topics in this chapter by taking the lessons' practice quizzes.
1. Factors that Affect Interpretation of Visual Images
This lesson explores how pictures, paintings, and photographs communicate meaning. We will discover the principles of visual literacy and look at how we use our personal experience and knowledge when looking at visual images.
2. Visual Design of Your Message: Consistency, Balance, Restraint & Detail
The visual design of your message is critical to the successful delivery of your ideas. Consistency, balance, restraint and detail are the four key areas that need to be addressed to allow a professional impression of your work.
3. Ethical Considerations When Using Visuals in Workplace Communication
There are important ethical considerations when using visuals in workplace communication. This lesson covers specific guidelines that individuals can follow to ensure that the visual message is an appropriate representation of the truth.
4. What is Copyright Infringement? - Understanding Copyright Law
Copyright is a type of intellectual property right that protects certain original works. Copyright laws work to provide authors with exclusive rights to their works. Any unauthorized use could amount to copyright infringement. This lesson explains copyright law and copyright infringement.
5. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
6. Types of Visual Aids Used in Public Speaking
Many people understand that visual aids can be helpful in public speaking. But what types of visual aids should a person choose? Watch this lesson for information on the types of visual aids and how to choose the best one.
7. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
8. Developing an Audience-Centered Presentation
A presenter has to be able to develop an audience-centered presentation to target the wants, needs, motivations and characteristics of the attendees in order for the message to be delivered appropriately.
9. Using Technology to Deliver a Presentation: Pros, Cons & Strategies
In today's wired world, there are many different technology strategies companies can use to deliver a message effectively, from simple slide presentations to live videos. This lesson covers the basics of several popular technologies and addresses the pros and cons of each.
10. How to Set the Tone for Your PowerPoint Presentation
The tone of a speech has a lot to do with how the audience feels when you speak. In this lesson, we will discuss best practices when creating your slides and setting the tone for your presentation.
11. How to Proof and Finalize Your PowerPoint Presentation
Proofreading your slides is key to making sure you produce a quality presentation. This lesson will cover PowerPoint proofing features, steps to customizing how PowerPoint checks your text and how to add a Mark as Final status to your presentation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Foundations
- Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings in English
- Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary in English
- Figures of Speech & Meaning
- Reading and Comprehension Strategies
- Organization of Written Works
- Climax & Plot in Written Works
- Themes in Written Works
- Types of Literary Fiction
- Essay Types & Literary Genres
- Significant Authors, Poets & Literary Works
- Points of View in Literature
- Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- Phrases & Clauses in English
- Types of Sentences in English
- Modifiers in the English Language
- Grammar Conventions in English
- Comma Rules in English
- Spelling Rules in English
- Precision & Clarity in Writing
- Descriptive Writing Basics
- Effective Composition Writing
- The Writing Process
- Research Writing
- Narrative Writing Strategies
- Expository Writing Strategies
- Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Effective Listening Strategies
- Public Speaking Strategies
- ORELA Middle Grades English Language Arts Flashcards