About This Chapter
Violence, Injury & Personal Safety - Chapter Summary
Our health can be severely impacted by accidents, injuries, violent episodes, workplace mishaps and other emergencies. In this chapter, you'll study definitions relating to these types of incidents, prevention strategies and precautions you can take regarding them. Learning is made easy and fun with short video lessons. You can gauge what you've retained from each lesson with a self-assessment quiz. By using this chapter, you'll learn things like:
- Factors that contribute to violence in America
- Differences between intentional and unintentional injuries
- Ways to prevent intentional injuries
- How to maintain safe home and work environments
- Guidelines for automobile and pedestrian safety
- How to participate safely in water and other recreational activities
- Methods for applying emergency care for ill or injured victims
1. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
2. Unintentional Injuries vs. Intentional Injuries: Definitions & Differences
It was an accident! We've all exclaimed that. Accident or not, intentional and unintentional injuries occur on a second by second basis in the U.S. We'll explore which ones result in tragedy most often.
3. Strategies to Prevent Intentional Injuries
Violent crimes occur on a daily basis, but that does not mean you have to be a victim. This lesson will outline some basic, but important tips and strategies you can use to keep yourself safe at home and in the outer world.
4. Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
Residential safety involves safety measures that concern your home. This lesson will explain the many dangers that lurk at home and how you can avoid them.
5. Workplace Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
What's your line of work? Or, what are the dangers you face at work? Workplace safety is important; that's why we are going to discuss how to keep yourself safe in this lesson.
6. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
7. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
8. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101