About This Chapter
Virginia SOL Chemistry: Laboratory Safety - Chapter Summary
If you want to do well on the Virginia SOL Chemistry exam, you will need to accurately answer questions on the subject of laboratory safety. This subject, fortunately, is covered extensively in the video lessons included in this chapter. You can watch these lessons to learn about such topics as:
- Basic laboratory techniques
- SDS/OSHA labels on chemical supplies
- How to safely store chemicals
- Laboratory safety equipment
- Personal safety equipment
- Safe practices for working with biological specimens
- How to respond to emergency situations
The resources found in this chapter will help you get familiar with the content and format of the Virginia SOL Chemistry Exam itself. You'll find studying for the exam much easier if you let us help you!
1. Basic Laboratory Techniques
Laboratories can be very complex and a little intimidating. In this lesson, you will learn about some basic laboratory techniques that will build your confidence by teaching you how to pour, measure, filter, and use gas burners and glassware.
2. Laboratory Safety Techniques: Protecting People and Equipment
Laboratory safety is not fun, but following the rules ensures that lab activities can be enjoyed by everyone. In this lesson, we cover some basic lab safety rules to follow that will help lab time be both safe and fun.
3. Understanding SDS/OSHA Labels on Chemicals & Supplies
Safety Data Sheets are an important component of safe lab work. In this lesson, we'll dissect an SDS to better understand its various components and see how they help keep you and everyone else safe in any lab setting.
4. Safe Chemical Storage, Use & Disposal
An important part of lab safety involves the correct usage, storage, and disposal of chemicals. Lab safety is everyone's responsibility, so it's important that you know the proper procedures and protocols for using chemicals in the lab.
5. Standard Laboratory Safety Equipment
Even with proper precautions, lab accidents do happen. When they do, knowing what safety equipment is in your lab, where it is located, and how to use it can prevent further harm to both the lab and the people working in it.
6. Personal Safety Equipment for the Science Lab
Science labs are great places to explore and learn. But they're only as safe as the people who use them, so in this lesson, we'll discuss some of the ways that you can protect yourself and prevent personal harm in the event of a lab accident.
7. Working with Biological Specimens Safely in the Lab
Working with biological specimens can be interesting and rewarding. But we need to be careful when handling and disposing of these types of specimens because they do have the potential to do harm both in and out of the lab.
8. Responding to Emergency Situations in the Lab
Science laboratories can be dangerous places. This lesson will discuss how to respond to various emergency situations one might encounter in the lab, from cuts and burns, to corrosive and poisonous substances, to fires.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Test Prep & Practice course
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Experiments & Data
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Basic Concepts
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Periodic Table
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Historical & Quantum Models
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Chemical Formulas & Equations
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Molar Relationships
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Gas Laws & Phase Changes
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry: Organic Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Virginia SOL - Chemistry Flashcards