About This Chapter
Virginia SOL-World Geography: Regional Geography - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to review what you know or learn new facts about types of regions and human origin theories. The topics addressed in this chapter are among those you will be expected to know to meet Virginia standards for this subject. Successful review of these video lessons leads to:
- Identifying and defining types of regions
- Giving examples of different types of regions
- Describing what a continent is
- Relating how the world is divided into continents and countries
- Explaining the Regional Continuity Model of human origin
Each lesson allows you to access a timeline feature wherein you can jump to specific parts of the videos, print and study lesson transcripts, ask instructors questions about the lessons and take accompanying quizzes. The self-assessment quizzes help you evaluate what you have retained from the lessons using the same multiple-choice format you will find on the actual Virginia SOL World Geography exam.
1. Types of Regions: Formal, Functional & Vernacular
There are many different ways to divide land up into regions. In this lesson, we'll look at the common types of regions in geography, including formal regions, functional regions, and vernacular regions.
2. How the World is Divided Regionally
Humans love to classify things. After watching this video, you will be able to explain what continents and countries are and how today's continents formed. A short quiz will follow.
3. The Regional Continuity Model of Human Origin: Characteristics, Assertions & Critiques
This lesson will seek to explain the Regional Continuity model of human origin. In doing so, it will highlight the theories of Darwin as well as the assertions of the Out of Africa model of origin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Virginia SOL - World Geography: Test Prep & Practice course
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Studying Geography
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Earth's Weather & Environment
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Languages & Religions
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Cultural Identity
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Human Geography
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Political Geography
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Urban Geography
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Economic Geography
- Virginia SOL - World Geography: Economic Development
- Virginia SOL - World Geography Flashcards