About This Chapter
Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic - Chapter Summary
The Paleolithic and Neolithic eras had many important developments and innovations, especially artistic ones. Check out these short lessons to analyze the artistic styles of these prehistoric eras. You can take the accompanying lesson quizzes to retain the information you study, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have about the material. The chapter can be accessed any time that fits your schedule, and you can use any computer or mobile device to study. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Identify prehistory's major developments
- Describe the artistic style of the upper Paleolithic Era
- Discuss the history of cave paintings
- Recognize the characteristics and innovations of art during the Neolithic Era
- Analyze examples of prehistoric art
1. Prehistory: Definition and Timeline
Learn about prehistory in this lesson. Look at everything about prehistory, from the earliest appearance of humans to the development of stone tools, agriculture, animal domestication, permanent settlements and writing.
2. Art in the Upper Paleolithic Era: Examples & Style
In this lesson, we explore one of the earliest forms of creativity in the history of mankind: Upper Paleolithic era art. Discover some of the most relevant examples of art from this time, as well as the main styles of art that have been found.
3. Cave Painting: History & Pictures
The earliest known paintings are located in caves across Europe, dating from the Stone Age. Explore the cave paintings and the mystery surrounding why they were painted in this lesson.
4. Art in the Neolithic Era: Innovations, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, discover some of the oldest forms of human creativity and expression: art in the Neolithic Era. Learn about the innovations of the Neolithic Era that influenced art, and explore characteristics and examples of art from this time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103