About This Chapter
Visual Art Since the 18th Century - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find easy-to-follow video lessons on visual art since the 18th century. Use these lessons to study Impressionist art, the history of sculpture and more. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the artists associated with Impressionist art
- Outline the characteristics of Post-Impressionism
- Detail prominent works and artists of the 20th century
- Discuss the history of Rococo, Baroque, medieval and Renaissance sculpture
- Explain 19th-century, modern and Neoclassical sculpture
Take your time as you work through these videos and feel free to go back as often as needed to review the subject matter again. To ensure you've understood the lessons, we've provided a self-assessment quiz along with each one as well as a comprehensive test at the end of the chapter. Submit any questions that you might have to one of our experts through the dashboard for assistance.
1. Impressionist Art: Characteristics & Artists
In this lesson, we will explore Impressionism. We will learn about the founding of the Impressionist movement, the major characteristics of Impressionism, and a few of the primary Impressionist artists.
2. Post-Impressionism: Between Impressionism & Modernism
In this lesson, we will explore Post-Impressionism, which was an artistic reaction to the Impressionist movement that swept the art world in the 1870s and 1880s. We will focus on the characteristics and artists of Post-Impressionism.
3. Prominent Artists & Works of the 20th Century
In this lesson, we will explore the world of 20th century art. We'll look at some overall characteristics of this century of art and then explore various trends and movements in the art world.
4. History of Sculpture: Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque & Rococo
In this lesson, we will study Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, and Rococo sculpture. We will explore the primary characteristics of sculpture in these ages and look at some of the major sculptural works.
5. Neoclassical, 19th-Century & Modern Sculpture
This lesson will present the history of sculpture in the late 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries. We will look at Neoclassicism, Romanticism, Symbolism, the art of Auguste Rodin, and the movements of 20th- century sculpture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Humanities: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Literary Terms & Techniques
- Medieval Literature
- The English Renaissance
- Literature of the Victorian Era
- British & American Romanticism
- British Literature of the 20th Century
- Literary Modernism
- Prominent American Novelists
- World Literature: Drama Through the 19th Century
- World Literature: Drama Since the 20th Century
- Romantic Poetry
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds
- Elements of Music Overview
- Philosophy and Nonfiction
- Visual Art Through the 17th Century
- History of Architecture
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Medieval Music
- Renaissance Music
- The Baroque Period in Music
- The Classical Music Period
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Modern Era Music
- World Music
- Introduction to the Performing Arts
- CLEP Humanities Flashcards