About This Chapter
Visual Art Concepts - Chapter Summary
Watch these online video lessons to learn important facts about visual art concepts. The chapter is divided into different topics that will allow you to come away with a comprehensive understanding of this subject.
The lessons will begin by going over some of the different types of art and conceptual theories related to visual art as a whole. Then, you will learn about the practical materials used in the production of visual art. When you complete this chapter, you will have a much better understanding of:
- The seven elements of art
- Visual art material and tools
- The definition and types of visual art processes
- The connections between different types of art
You can use the chapter's video tags to return to crucial points of information from each lesson. The chapter also offers hard copy transcripts of the lessons for you to review at your own convenience. Once you are confident in your knowledge of this subject, you can test your understanding of visual art by taking the chapter's practice quizzes.
1. What Are the Seven Elements of Art? - Definition & Examples
The elements of art are the building blocks of all art. Every piece of art ever created includes one or more of these elements. Learn about line, color, shape, form, value, space, and texture.
2. Visual Art: Materials & Tools
Have you ever painted a picture with watercolors or made a monster out of modeling clay? Visual artists use all kinds of equipment and work with a variety of materials, some of which we'll discuss in this lesson.
3. Visual Art Processes: Definition & Types
In this lesson, we'll explore several types of visual arts processes, including collage, mosaic, printmaking (relief, intaglio, lithography, and screenprinting), photography, and digital imaging.
4. Visual Art: Elements of Various Genres
There are many different types of visual art like drawing and painting, and each has its own techniques and styles. Through this lesson, you will explore various genres, or categories, of visual art and consider some examples of the different elements that contribute to the finished product.
5. Connecting Different Types of Art & Disciplines
How are arts activities such as dance, music, and visual arts related? Does one discipline influence the others - and how? In this lesson, we'll explore some examples of relationships between the arts and other disciplines.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards