About This Chapter
Visual Arts Techniques - Chapter Summary
It can be difficult to learn a visual aesthetic without sufficient knowledge of history and definitions. This guide focuses on major highlights in the history of visual art as well as the description of key terms. Techniques are discussed in the context of how they evolved, artists who used them and unique or notable examples. Specific topics covered in this chapter include:
- Principles of art
- Elements of art
- Sculpture and painting
- Renaissance and Baroque periods
With information about the instructor and lesson transcripts, you can quickly judge the quality of the information provided. This review uses short, engaging lessons to refresh your knowledge of specific aspects of the visual arts - including artistic eras, artists, and techniques. You can gauge your understanding with the multiple-choice interactive quizzes that accompany each lesson and at the end of the chapter.
1. Visual Art: Elements of Various Genres
There are many different types of visual art like drawing and painting, and each has its own techniques and styles. Through this lesson, you will explore various genres, or categories, of visual art and consider some examples of the different elements that contribute to the finished product.
2. What Are the Principles of Art? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will be presented with an overview of the basic principles of art, examples of what they are, and how to use them when creating or analyzing an artwork.
3. What Are the Seven Elements of Art? - Definition & Examples
The elements of art are the building blocks of all art. Every piece of art ever created includes one or more of these elements. Learn about line, color, shape, form, value, space, and texture.
4. What is Sculpture? - Definition, Evolution & Major Artists
Discover what makes the art of sculpture special. Explore the evolution of sculpture through the works of famous sculptors throughout history, and learn about tribal, readymade, kinetic, and biomorphic sculpture. Then test yourself on your new knowledge.
5. What is Painting? - Definition, Evolution & Major Artists
Learn about what defines a painting as a specific form of art work. Explore famous painters in history and the works for which they're remembered. Discover what makes the painting a consistent form across the history of art.
6. Renaissance Art: Artists, Paintings, Sculptures & Architecture
In this lesson, we will be discussing Renaissance art, focusing primarily on paintings, sculptures, and architecture. We will also be learning how humanism affected the art of this time period.
7. Baroque Painting: Style, Characteristics & Artists
This lesson covers the development of Baroque painting as it spread across Europe. We explore the works of Caravaggio in Italy, Velazquez in Spain, Rubens in Belgium, Lorrain in France and Rembrandt in Holland.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2)(211/212/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Information Resources
- Language Processing & Development
- Language Teaching Strategies for Diverse Students
- Teaching Phonics, Phonemic Awareness & Fluency
- Teaching the Foundations of English Language Arts
- Teaching Word Recognition in Early Childhood
- Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
- Language Knowledge & Vocabulary
- Teaching Reading Comprehension in Early Childhood
- Teaching Literacy with Informational Texts
- Early Childhood Writing Development & Instruction
- Promoting Literacy Through Listening
- Early Childhood Reading Issues & Interventions
- Language Arts Assessments in Early Childhood
- Math Instruction & Assessment in Early Childhood
- Teaching Numbers in Early Childhood Education
- Basic Mathematical Operations & Conversions
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Measurement & Geometry
- Data, Statistics and Probability
- Scientific Inquiry & Investigation
- Physical Science Basics
- Scientific Concepts for the Living Environment
- Use of Engineering & Design in Scientific Learning
- Major U.S. Historical Events
- Role of New York in Shaping the U.S.
- Geography Concepts
- Human Population Distribution Patterns
- Relationship Between Economics, Government & Politics
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship in the U.S.
- Social Studies Research Skills
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Health, Safety & Community Awareness
- Physical Development & Activities in Early Childhood
- Understanding Childhood Development & Care
- Consumer Economics & Personal Resource Management
- Career Development Resources
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood Flashcards