About This Chapter
Visual Media Literacy in the Texas Classroom - Chapter Summary
By studying this chapter, you can review the techniques for teaching digital literacy and media literacy in class, and explore the roles of visuals in communication. View lessons about those subjects, and discover ways of working with multimedia software, and more. When you've completed them, answer the questions in the short quizzes that follow to see how much information you remember. You can also review the following:
- Implementation of TEKS Visual Media standards in class
- Definition of media literacy
- Strategies for finding meaning in visual media
- Steps for picking media sources for literacy instruction
- Consistency and balance of your message's visual design
- Utilization of textual graphics vs. visual graphics
- Pros and cons of using technology to give a presentation
Enjoy working at your own pace through the lessons. They are brief and mobile-friendly. Let the instructors know if you have any questions about the lessons or quizzes.
1. Implementing TEKS Visual Media Standards in Class
In this lesson, we will discuss the reading/media literacy standards of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills as related to elementary and middle school students, including grade-level expectations.
2. What is Media Literacy? - Definition, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the role and purpose of media literacy in society in history and today. Examples of media, mass media communications and media literacy will be explained and evaluated in order to form an understanding of why media literacy is critically important for the 21st century.
3. Teaching Media Literacy in the Classroom
Media literacy is an essential skill in the Common Core State Standards as well as in non-Common Core state skills requirements. In this lesson, we'll explore several examples and techniques for effectively teaching media literacy in your classroom.
4. Teaching Digital Literacy in the Classroom
Digital literacy is an important skill for your students to learn. This lesson will provide strategies and tips for teaching digital literacy in your classroom.
5. Understanding Topics Presented in Different Media or Formats
Information can be presented in many ways, and it's important to understand all of them. In this lesson, we'll talk about several ways for information to be presented and see how they relate to each other.
6. Finding Meaning in Visual Media: Strategies & Examples
You know how to read a book. But do you know how to 'read' a painting? In this lesson, you'll get some strategies for interpreting visual media like painting, sculpture, and photography.
7. Interpreting Images & Cartoons for Meaning
This lesson explores the visual rhetoric of images and cartoons. We will look at some ways to decode meaning and what sorts of questions you should ask when making sense of pictures.
8. Factors that Affect Interpretation of Visual Images
This lesson explores how pictures, paintings, and photographs communicate meaning. We will discover the principles of visual literacy and look at how we use our personal experience and knowledge when looking at visual images.
9. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
10. Visual Design of Your Message: Consistency, Balance, Restraint & Detail
The visual design of your message is critical to the successful delivery of your ideas. Consistency, balance, restraint and detail are the four key areas that need to be addressed to allow a professional impression of your work.
11. Using Visuals to Present Data: Textual Graphics vs. Visual Graphics
Textual and visual graphics can aid in visually presenting data to a business audience. You must first identify the type of data you will be presenting and then decide whether it is details, patterns or relationships being communicated.
12. Using Technology to Deliver a Presentation: Pros, Cons & Strategies
In today's wired world, there are many different technology strategies companies can use to deliver a message effectively, from simple slide presentations to live videos. This lesson covers the basics of several popular technologies and addresses the pros and cons of each.
13. Multimedia Software: Working with Audio and Video
Audio and video have become increasingly important in today's computer systems. Learn about how media players play back multimedia files as well as audio and video editing software to create your own productions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES English Language Arts and Reading 4-8 (117): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development & Instruction
- Teaching Listening & Speaking Skills
- Phonics & Phonological Awareness
- Supporting Emergent Literacy
- Reading Fluency & Comprehension
- Reading Strategies & Practice
- Promoting Literacy in the Classroom
- Literacy Assessments for Texas Educators
- Elements of Literature
- Literary Structure & Elements for Comprehension
- Interpreting Informational Texts & Data
- Understanding Nonfiction & Fiction Genres
- Elements & Genres of Dramatic Literature
- Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- Significant Authors, Poets & Literary Works
- Writing Mechanics & Conventions
- Spelling Rules in English
- Writing Instruction for Texas Educators
- Assessing Writing Skills
- Research Instruction for Texas Educators
- TExES English Language Arts and Reading 4-8 Flashcards