About This Chapter
Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education - Chapter Summary
Ensure you understand the strategies for developing vocabulary in early childhood education by utilizing the lessons in this chapter. Explore ways to provide students with new vocabulary words, help them understand the meaning of words, teach ELL students and more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Discuss different methods of teaching vocabulary words
- Identify techniques for learning and utilizing new vocabulary
- List teaching strategies for vocabulary words and reading comprehension
- Explain how to find the meaning of words using context clues
- Show how to use the relationships between words to understand their meanings
- Demonstrate the method of determining a word's meaning through its root or affix
- Describe how to pick new words for to teach
- Detail how to teach vocabulary to English language learners
The lessons in this chapter include videos and texts. Watch or read the lessons at your leisure by accessing them from your computer or mobile devices. At any time during your review, feel free to assess your understanding of vocabulary development in early childhood by taking lesson quizzes. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your knowledge of this subject area.
1. How to Teach Vocabulary Words
Without a rich vocabulary, students have little foundation to understand what they are reading. This lesson highlights vocabulary strategies that can be used to develop student vocabulary skills in elementary, middle and high school.
2. Strategies for Acquiring and Using New Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will discuss methods for growing our vocabulary and putting the new words into practice. We will also learn how to discover the meaning of words based on the context, the surrounding information.
3. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
4. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
5. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
6. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
7. Selecting Words for Vocabulary Instruction
When students understand and are fluent with vocabulary they have a better understanding of what they read. How can teachers focus their instruction? This lesson will show how to create vocabulary lists to enhance subject knowledge.
8. Teaching Vocabulary to ELL Students
Using a translator or carrying a translating device is not realistic when learning English as a second language. In this lesson, you'll learn how to strategically teach vocabulary to English language learners.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundations of Education: Help and Review course
- History of Education in the United States: Help and Review
- Pioneers of Education: Help and Review
- Psychology's Impact on Education: Help and Review
- Major Philosophies of Education: Help and Review
- Education Court Cases & Legislation: Help & Review
- School and System Governance: Help and Review
- Special and Inclusive Education: Help and Review
- National Professional Organizations in Education: Help and Review
- Partnerships to Support Learning
- Health & Safety for Young Children
- Reading Development & Teaching Strategies
- Foundations of Teaching Science
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Language Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Language & Literacy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Teaching Reading Comprehension
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Writing Instruction
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognitive Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Cognition & Memory
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Diversity in the Classroom
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Motivating Students
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Instructional Pedagogy
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Assessment Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Basic Math & Problem Solving
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social Studies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Foundations of Science
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Arts Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Health & Physical Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Moral Development
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Socialization Strategies
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Resources & Technology
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: History of Education in the U.S.
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Major Philosophies of Education
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Social & Family Systems
- CEOE Early Childhood Ed: Professional Organizations
- Phonemic Awareness in Early Childhood Education
- Print Concepts in Early Childhood Education
- Building Spelling Skills in Early Childhood
- Teaching Phonics in Early Childhood
- Word Identification Strategies in Early Childhood Education
- Applying Reading Skills in Early Childhood Education
- Earth & Space Science: Early Childhood Education
- Life Science in Early Childhood Education
- Physical Science in Early Childhood Education
- Environmental Science in Early Childhood Education
- Science Education Strategies for Early Childhood
- Geography Tools: Overview & Concepts
- Protecting Personal Safety
- Early Childhood Physical Development
- Cognitive Development in Early Childhood
- Planning for Instruction: Classroom Strategies
- Assessments in Childhood Education
- Individualized Education Plans