About This Chapter
Vocabulary Understanding & Usage - Chapter Summary
Study this series of engaging English lessons to better understand concepts related to vocabulary and its proper usage in the English language. Our expert instructors help you review homophones, synonyms and antonyms, as well as word parts and word relationships. You'll also solve different types of word problems and learn effective spelling strategies. Studying these lessons can help you:
- Understand the proper usage of synonyms, antonyms and homophones
- Solve a variety of word problems, including odd word out, one-word substitution and jumbled letter problems
- Identify several word parts, such as root words, prefixes and suffixes
- Apply strategies to correctly spell words
- Find the meaning of words by using context
- Understand a word by evaluating its relationship with other words
These lessons are designed to present important vocabulary topics in a way that's easy to understand and remember. You can make sure you fully understand the material by taking our lesson quizzes and comprehensive chapter exam. If you get stuck, feel free to reach out to our instructors for extra help. Finally, we've made the chapter accessible on any Internet-connected device, which enables you to study wherever it's convenient.
1. What Are Synonyms & Antonyms? - Definition & Examples
We use synonyms and antonyms in language usually without even noticing. Watch this video lesson to see examples and learn how to use each effectively for communication.
2. Odd Word Out Problems: Definition & Practice
The Odd Word Out activity is a strategic assessment of an English speaker's knowledge and understanding of synonyms and basic English vocabulary. In this lesson, we will learn about the Odd Word Out activity, do some practice problems, and discuss strategies to solve these questions.
3. One Word Substitution Problems: Definition & Practice
One word substitution is the process of using one word for a phrase. This lesson provides the full definition and some practice problems to help get an idea how to solve these problems.
4. Jumbled Letter Problems: Definition & Practice
If you have an upcoming test and you know there are going to be jumbled letter problems, you may be wondering what they are exactly and what the best strategies are for solving them. Read on. We've got you covered.
5. What is a Homophone? - Definition & Examples
Remember those confusing words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings? They're called homophones. In this lesson, you'll learn why recognizing homophones is important and discuss a few different ways for mastering them.
6. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
7. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
8. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
9. Understanding Words By Their Relationships
Many words in the English language have multiple meanings. To really understand a word, we have to understand the relationship between particular words. In this lesson, we will examine this through connotations, denotations, synonyms, and analogies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.