About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Volcano Types chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Definition and types of volcanoes||History of volcanoes, classifications, magma and lava; cinder cone, shield and composite cone volcanoes|
|Tuesday||Volcanic eruptions||Release of carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and sulfur dioxide; water vapor|
|Wednesday||Flow of pyroclastic materials||Volcanic particles, lapilli, nuee ardentes, ignimbrites and pumice|
|Thursday||Volcanic landforms||Formations, volcanic pipes, craters, caldera, fissure eruptions and tectonic plates|
|Friday||Hazards and prevention methods||Pyroclastic flow, pyroclastic surge, lava flow and tephra; tsunamis, landslides and lahars|
1. What is a Volcano? - Definition & Eruptions
Volcanoes are vents that allow lava, rock fragments and gases to escape from layers beneath the earth's surface. Learn how volcanoes form both on land and underwater and why they erupt.
2. Types of Volcanoes: Shield, Cinder Cones & Composite Cones
The earth ejects lava, rock fragments, hot vapor and gases during volcanic eruptions. Volcanoes vary based on size, shape, composition and eruptive style. Learn about the different types of volcanoes, such as shield, cinder cone and composite cone.
3. Volcanic Eruption: Gases Released & Their Effects
Volcanic eruptions emit water vapor and toxic gases into the atmosphere. Learn about the gases emitted from an erupting volcano, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide and their effects in this video lesson.
4. The Flow of Pyroclastic Materials
A pyroclastic flow is the flow of volcanic ash, gases and fragments following a volcanic eruption. Learn about the types of pyroclastic flows and the materials that make them up and contribute to their fluid nature.
5. Volcanic Landforms: Types & Formation
Volcanic eruptions pull materials up from deep within the earth to form various volcanic landforms, such as lava domes, lava plateaus, fissure eruptions, craters and calderas. Learn about these volcanic landforms and how they are created.
6. Lava Flow, Pyroclastic Flow, Pyroclastic Surge & Tephra: Preventing Volcanic Hazards
Volcanic hazards are any type of volcanic process that leads to destruction or threatens life. Learn about specific volcanic hazards including lava flows, pyroclastic flows, pyroclastic surges and tephra and measures used to prevent or reduce damage
7. Volcanic Hazards & Prevention: Landslides, Lahars & Tsunamis
Volcanic hazards are any volcanic process that can damage property or threaten life. Learn about volcanic hazards, such as landslides that can trigger lahars and tsunamis, and ways to prevent these hazards from threatening people's lives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Environmental Science Lesson Plans
- Geological Dating Lesson Plans
- Continental Drift Lesson Plans
- Earthquake Components Lesson Plans
- The Atmosphere Lesson Plans
- Weather & Storms Lesson Plans
- Water Cycle Lesson Plans
- Running Water Types Lesson Plans
- Groundwater System Lesson Plans
- Glaciers Processes Lesson Plans
- Ocean Characteristics Lesson Plans
- Water Conversion Lesson Plans
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil Lesson Plans
- Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Organism Interactions Lesson Plans
- Evolving Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Biological Science Lesson Plans
- Human Population Lesson Plans
- Food & Agricultural Resources Lesson Plans
- Land Use Lesson Plans
- Mining & Fishing Lesson Plans
- Energy Concepts Lesson Plans
- Renewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Nonrenewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Lesson Plans
- Human Environmental Impact Lesson Plans
- Environmental Sustainability Concepts Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Environmental Risk Lesson Plans
- Global Environmental Economics Lesson Plans
- Environmental Politics Lesson Plans