About This Chapter
Volleyball History & Rules - Chapter Summary
Find out what a volleyball match entails with this chapter's short video lessons. Instructors discuss the nature of the game and walk you through a brief history of the sport. You'll also study some of the passing, serving and blocking skills essential to volleyball and examine the rules for play. The ease with which this sport can be adapted to suit the skill levels and abilities of all participants is discussed as well. Lessons in this chapter are designed to help you:
- Trace the history of volleyball
- Understand volleyball's rules
- Study serving, passing and blocking skills
- Recognize volleyball's adaptability
Each of the lessons in this chapter is taught by an experienced instructor whose teaching style makes studying fun, regardless of whether you're using these resources to prepare for a test, review material covered in class or learn more about volleyball for your own self-enrichment purposes. In addition to engaging videos, you'll find transcripts and multiple-choice quizzes you can access as many times as you need.
1. The Nature & Purpose of Volleyball
Volleyball isn't the low-key sport it used to be. It is increasing in popularity, becoming more competitive and gaining attention in the media. The sport has become a favorite in many parts of the world. This lesson teaches you about the nature and purpose of this popular sport.
2. The History & Evolution of Volleyball
If someone asked you what the most popular sports in the world are, would you name volleyball? It is actually just behind soccer as the largest participant sport worldwide. In this lesson, you'll discover more interesting facts about the history and development of this global phenomenon.
3. Volleyball Skills
You may have played volleyball at the last church social, but if you want to be more competitive at the sport you will need to learn and practice the five basic volleyball shots. This lesson describes the shots you will need to know to be the king of the court.
4. Volleyball Rules
In this lesson, we explore the basics of the game of volleyball and the rules which must be followed in order to serve, set, and spike your way to victory in a match.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Physical Education (5091): Practice & Study Guide course
- Introduction to Physical Education
- Physical Development, Health & Fitness
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Physical Education & Weight Management
- Functions of the Cardiorespiratory System
- Muscular System Functions
- Gross Anatomy of the Muscular System
- Connective Tissue Overview
- Human Skeletal System
- Softball Rules & Skills
- Soccer History & Rules
- Swimming Skills & Benefits
- Tennis Rules & Techniques
- History & Rules of Track & Field
- Cognitive Influences on Learning
- Behavioral Influences on Learning
- Student Learning & Motivation
- Managing the Physical Education Classroom
- Communication in Physical Education Settings
- Planning & Instruction in Physical Education
- Student Assessment Types
- Measurement & Analysis for Student Assessments
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in Physical Education
- Praxis Physical Education Flashcards