About This Chapter
Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Structure in Expressions - Chapter Summary
Our expert instructors have put together these simple, informative lessons about structure in expressions, variables, coefficients and more. They will help you in being able to answer questions on the Washington EOC Algebra 1 test about lesson topics like:
- Like terms in math
- Translation of words, expressing relationships and algebraic expressions
- The distributive property with algebraic expressions
- Simplification of expressions with exponents and rational exponents
- Expression simplification with negative signs
Our instructors have broken the subject material into short bites of information. Video lessons are usually about 5-10 minutes long, and they come with a transcript and a keyword-based timeline tool which simplifies the replaying of any specific section. A self-assessment quiz can be taken after any lesson to test your understanding of the material. We also offer a feature through which you can ask a question of the instructor.
1. What are Variables in Math? - Definition & Examples
Variables are seen in almost all math applications beginning with algebra. In this lesson, learn why variables are not something to be afraid of or some concept that is impossible to grasp. Learn what makes them so useful to mathematicians and to you.
2. Coefficients: Definition & Concept
Coefficients come in different forms and can tell you many things about a graph. Learn more about coefficient in this lesson, and check your understanding with a quiz.
3. Like Terms in Math: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how to distinguish between like and unlike terms as well as how to combine like terms in order to simplify an expression.
4. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
5. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
6. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
7. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
8. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
9. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
10. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Washington EOC - Algebra: Test Prep & Practice course
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Real Numbers
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Quantities
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Equivalent Expressions
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Polynomials
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Solving Algebraic Equations
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Quadratic Equations
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Systems of Equations
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Graphing
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Understanding Functions
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Building Functions
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Functions & Graphs
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Polynomial Functions
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Analyzing Data
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Graphing Data
- Washington EOC - Algebra 1: Interpreting Linear Models
- Washington EOC - Algebra Flashcards