About This Chapter
Washington EOC - Geometry: Similar Triangles & Pythagorean Theorem - Chapter Summary
Let our subject-matter experts help you as you get ready to take the Washington EOC geometry test. These lessons will help you in answering test questions on similar triangles and the Pythagorean theorem. Learn more about topics like:
- Geometric shape's similarities
- Identification of similar triangles
- Similar triangles and the transitive property
- Dilation in math
- Similar polygons
- The definition and use of the Pythagorean theorem
Our instructors made these 5-10 minute long videos to increase your competency with similar triangles and the Pythagorean theorem. Lessons feature a quiz for you to take at the end. If it turns out you need to go back over lesson material, you can do so by using the video transcript provided. You can also go right to any specific place in a video by using our timeline tool, which utilizes keywords to take you directly there. We have a feature that allows you to submit a question to an expert.
1. Similarity in Geometric Shapes
View this lesson to learn how you can determine whether shapes are similar. Find out how to use the one rule that tells you when your two shapes are geometrically similar.
2. How to Identify Similar Triangles
Similar triangles have the same characteristics as similar figures but can be identified much more easily. Learn the shortcuts for identifying similar triangles here and test your ability with a quiz.
3. The Transitive Property of Similar Triangles
Watch this video lesson and you will understand what the transitive property is and how it applies to similar triangles. Watch as we apply the transitive property to three similar triangles.
4. Dilation in Math: Definition & Meaning
Dilations are transformations that change figures in specific ways. Learn about these changes and how to complete dilations here. Then test your understanding with a quiz.
5. Similar Polygons: Definition and Examples
Watch this video to learn what makes two polygons similar to each other. You'll also learn the one distinguishing aspect of similar polygons and see an example of how to compare two polygons.
6. Pythagorean Theorem: Definition & Example
Learn what the Pythagorean Theorem says about a right triangle and the relationships of its three sides to each other by watching this video lesson. Also learn how you can use this to your advantage when solving problems.
7. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Washington EOC - Geometry: Test Prep & Practice course
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Lines & Shapes
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Transformations in the Plane
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Congruence & Rigid Motion
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Theorems & Construction
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Right Triangles
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Circles
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Geometric Properties & Equations
- Washington EOC - Geometry: 2D & 3D Shapes
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Geometric Modeling
- Washington EOC - Geometry: Statistics & Probability
- Washington EOC - Geometry Flashcards